on 26 August 2014
This book title is incredibly misleading. Sarah Wilson hasn't given up sugar at all - she just swapped what type of sugar she eats. I brought this book expecting lots of cool sugar-free recipes and instead had to send it back as none of the recipes were sugar free - the white stuff has just been swapped for brown rice syrup, maple syrup and/or stevia. She also uses lots of dried fruit which is also high in sugar.

This book pushes that myth that one type of sugar is better than another, which is rubbish - sugar molecules whatever the source behave the same biologically once consumed and these recipes contained a lot of sugar/fructose. Very disappointed.

If you want a good book about giving up sugar, I would recommend 'Sweet Nothing' by Nicole Mowbray which is cheaper, much more informative (with real science rather than pseudo-science explanations) and she REALLY cut out the sugar. She also provides you with the science behind why fructose, despite it's lower GI is still not good for you. It doesn't have many recipes in (but it does have some), but gives sound advice on what you can and should eat so you can sort yourself out.
1212 comments| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2014
Brilliant book. Very easy to read and follow. This isn't a diet book, it's just a sensible way of eating and it really makes sense. Sugar was making me feel ill and I hadn't realised. I have so much more energy now and I have lost weight although this wasn't an issue for me as I was already a normal, healthy weight. My headaches have practically disappeared too. I haven't used any of the sweet recipes though as I'd rather just not eat sweet things anymore. Savoury and full fat are enough and I feel full after every meal so do even think about snacking.
Brilliant.
on 26 May 2014
I did the 8 week detox using Sarah's book and this is a great follow on. The detox helps you to drastically reduce your sugar consumption. In the detox you do quit sugar for a month but then you rebuild in 2 pieces of fruit and the odd treat so it's not completely sugar free but your aiming for about 10g or less a day
I feel so much better, I eat when I'm hungry now and feel in control of my eating rather than food controlling me. My head feels clearer too. I've lost some weight - gradually which is an added bonus. I didn't have sugar in tea and coffee but I did buy some ready meals and some processed foods - so I was probably consuming a lot more sugar than I realised. I've always struggled with my weight and have come to the conclusion that sugar in food could be a factor.
This book is good because there are some menu plans to give you some ideas for your weekly shop. All the receipes I've tried so far have been very tasty. I mostly cook from scratch now which takes more time but is definately more satisfying and I know what's going in my body too.
I love Sarah's philosophy about not wasting food - she sticks to some basic ingredients which means that once you've stocked up you can make a lot of the meals/ treats. Saves on storage and waste. She's also a big fan of using up what you have and a lot of her suggestions are how to use up bits and pieces. BRILL! I also love the fact that although she gives ways of making things like cream cheese she's not to precious about using bought products when you need to.
The only disadvantage I find is it's taking a while to wrap my head around the ideas - but I'm really excited to try. It's a very way of living to what I'm used to and life-style changes are always time consuming. The whole philosophy behind the book is living a healthier - but enjoyable- lifestyle and without making impossible changes and I'm a big fan.
I live in Britain (England) and so far sourcing the more unusual ingredients isn't impossible, I've found some in the supermarkets, amazon and healthfood shops. When I see a product I need now I tend to buy multiples and make a note of where I got it from. But as a lot of her receipes are based on good meats, veggies and berries a lot of stuff can be found in any grocery store.
Being Australian her ingredients are measured in cups but she gives grams in brackets.
Would recomend this book if you've done the sugar detox or you just want to try some of the receipes
on 13 March 2016
I have owned this book for a year now, and have tried 18 of the recipes so far. That might not sound like many out of the 148 recipe variations presented, but nearly all of the recipes I have tried are now cooked on a regular basis because they are so good! What's more, a lot of the recipes (particularly the breakfast whips) can be altered or just used to give you an idea, and then you have almost endless variations.

I wasn't new to the idea of sugar-free eating before this book (although practically speaking, I was a long way off actually being sugar-free, I might add!) but was looking for some inspiration. When I first started making the recipes I was just aiming to cook some new dishes, but in particular keep feeding my sweet tooth with sugar-free desserts. A year on, and slowly I have accepted that this approach really just keeps "scratching the itch" and after doing a lot more reading I began to truly understand the philosophy that Sarah embodies: that sugar and sweeteners- in all their forms- needs to be kept pretty much down to the bare minimum: ideally one piece of fruit a day and very occasional treats with added sweeteners like stevia. Only then will your set-point to sweetness decrease and you'll stop feeding the cravings. As a plus-point, you'll always have to eat 'real food' that you have cooked and prepared because sugar is in pretty much everything- smoke bacon, baked beans, mayonnaise!

When I first got this book, I was tending to try the sweet breakfast recipes and a few of the main meals, but as time has gone on, I've become much more willing to try almost anything. Even if the idea sounds simple or not particularly tasty (like the sweet potato casserole on p111 which I now eat as a dessert!) I'll give it a go, and am usually pleasantly surprised. I would say that to get the best out of the book, you'e probably going to have to accept a lifestyle change eventually, but there are some good recipes in here to ease you in at the beginning.

If you're wondering whether to buy this book or her 'Simplicious' one as your first recipe collection, I'd suggest this one. There's a little bit about the reasoning for sugar free in the front, but it's not too long, and you will be less overwhelmed by the quantity of recipes. Simplicious is a good book, but could be overwhelming as your first sugar free experiment, and she goes the whole hog with the sustainability hype. Admirable, but maybe a bit full-on as a starting point!
on 12 May 2014
Sarah Wilson strikes again with her inimitable good humour, intelligent discussion, and WONDERFUL recipes for a thoroughly enjoyable 'read 'n' rendezvous' with your kitchen, haha!

I am still sifting through the pages as this is a new addition to my cookbook catalogue, but I am already impressed with her extreme wealth of knowledge and the colourful and BEAUTIFULLY presented recipes that practically dance off the pages in their excited fervour. Even things I wouldn't have considered or could be arsed to try, I am now literally chomping at the bit to give a go and make a regular part of my holistic health routine; trust me, this is an invaluable resource for anyone suffering from autoimmune disease (especially thyroid issues, but autoimmune issues share many of the same problems such as chronic inflammation and low immune system function, skin issues, extreme hormonal ups and downs, toxicity, fatigue - you name it) and indeed anyone with a chronic sugar addiction (guilty, very guilty - like, emergency butter and icing sugar at midnight guilty and sneak eating to avoid embarrassment) will find her guidelines a godsend. Yes, it takes commitment, time, and organisation - but once you get a handle on your issues with sugar (be it psychological or physiological - usually both go hand in hand), the ride is a smoother sail towards greater health and wellness of body and mind. I have been following her for quite some time now, and have been implementing the recipes and guidelines from her first (also excellent) book "I Quit Sugar" which, if you aren't going to be lazy with, will set your journey off equally as well. I must admit though that this book takes it many steps further as Sarah builds upon her prior (and very sound) understanding of the complexities of nutritional healing and incorporates a multi-faceted approach to quitting sugar (or rather, excess fructose consumption - the one that has been proven to be significantly linked to diseases such as cancer for example) in this publication that is truly the "icing on the cake", ha! And you'll certainly be enjoying your less harmful "cream cheese frosting" with rice malt syrup vigour and enthusiasm, I assure you ;)

Buy this book. Live your life free of this insideous addiction. Reclaim your health, your happiness, your self-control, your freedom from being held back by anything weighing you down. No regrets :)
44 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2016
Fantastic book! i bought it as I felt I was eating too much sugar but had no control (emotional eating, binging). This explains a lot of the theory in a readable way. It is not a fad diet, it is aimed toward lifelong healthy eating and being in control of your sugar intake (rather than the sugar controlling you!). Not at all preachy, love her books.
on 18 August 2015
This book belongs firmly to the cult of yummy mummies deluding themselves about their 'healthy diets'. From start to finish, even in savoury dishes, the recipes in this book are full of sugar - plenty of it. It may be 'disguised' as rice malt syrup, but it's still sugar and it does exactly the same thing in your body as plain old evil sucrose.

It's a great shame books are not subject to the Trade Descriptions Act because there is a whole industry geared up to selling poor deluded fools books and foods that are allegedly sugar-free but are anything but. This is one of them, done so brazenly and manipulatively it's an insult to readers' intelligence.

Not only that, but it also has every food fad in the history of 'healthy eating'. This is 'healthy eating' as done by Cosmo, Sunday supplements and Trinny & Susannah. It throws in all the old favourites: coconut oil, almond milk, quinoa, protein powders (what part of that is healthy, non-processed or natural?), raw cocoa – sorry, cacao – powder, chia seeds, stevia, sea salt and organic yak's nectar. Okay, I made that last one up, but you get my drift. Raw "cacao" is five times the price of plain old supermarket stuff, coconut oil (virgin of course) is probably fifteen times the price of unsalted butter – what part of any of that is "fad-free"? Or affordable for everyday eating?

Then there's the "tote-ables". This is putting your food in jam jars, because, don't you know, lunch boxes are just SO last week. Besides, poor people use them. She puts green sludge in jam jars, brown sludge in jam jars (blended Weetabix, rice syrup, milk and crushed ice in one, which apparently "all blokes" like). Sorry, isn't that just a bowl of Weetabix turned into sugary pap and fed to you in a giant baby food jar? What are we, three?

And then, of course, her picture is on every page, in shorts, in a bra, in nothing. Okay, again, I made that up, but she is plastered all over the book in the flimsiest clothing possible to show the maximum amount of tan, whitened teeth and INCREDIBLY thin body, so yes, you could be forgiven for thinking, 'Gosh darn, this stuff must work'.

No, no and no again. If you read between the lines, the reason she is slim is because she eats virtually nothing. In other words, she starves, like every other anorexic 'celebrity' before her. She frequently – on account of her jet-setting life, she is at great pains to point out – grabs one of her "toteable" jam jars to take on the plane, which covers her for breakfast and lunch. So, one jar of adult baby food for breakfast and lunch, with plenty of rice sugar in it. Very healthy and filling. Not. But you'll get thin, and very, very hungry.

This book is NOT sugar-free, not fad-free and not worth your time or money. If you want to be thin just do as she does, make some sugary mush in a jar, suck it through a straw, then don't eat again all day.

There, I just saved you £14.99, plus a whole lot more at Holland & Barrett's – you're welcome.
on 25 May 2016
Received quickly but when I opened the package the book was slightly damaged! However, although I love the physical books on my shelf to look good, I couldn't wait to read this so didn't return it.

This is a very interesting read if a little hard to read. It is a bit fragmented but I suppose a lot of people appreciate the information in small chunks.

I am definitely going to give the idea of living sugar free a good go and this book provided a lot of information on the easiest way to go about it.

I would recommend this book for those who are trying to go down 'Quit Sugar for Life' route. Some great recipes and tips to help you through the process.
on 24 December 2014
I wanted information about sugar, instead this book is filled with some limited information on sugar and a great deal more on the author's other food choices, some of which are not sufficiently backed up by science.
on 14 October 2014
While being impressed by the wealth of knowledge n this book, I am still unclear about what I can and should not eat, for one example potatoes. I think the book is impressively glossy but very badly laid out and I find the different colour inks difficult to read. Also I have only had the book for a week and the pages are falling out.