Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 May 2012
I was disappointed on the first read of this book, but picked it up for a second read and my opinion changed greatly.
I really liked the approach to techniques and have been inspired to make the fiesta quilt. I followed the instructions in the book, but think my wall hanging is smaller than the picture in the book - fewer lines in my centre block. The quilt has come out beautifully and I will now make city lights.
The instructions are clear and concise, the construction diagrams are perhaps slightly too lightly shaded and require concentration.
The only reason I have given four stars is I like books with spiral binding to sit open beside my sewing machine.
on 26 April 2012
My copy arrived from Amazon yesterday and I just wanted to write and say how impressed with it I am. I've been quilting for about 10 years now, 8 or so in what you might call art quilting so none of the techniques were completely new to me. But the fresh, new way they were presented had all sorts of ideas coming into my head ( I had to remind myself of all the WIPs and promised pieces I had to finish before I could indulge in too much play). The clear instructions and diagrams and the warm and encouraging tone of the writing will mean that everyone from relative beginners to 'old hands' will feel enabled to have a go and expand their repertoire. I have to confess that often I get excited to see a new quilting book coming out and when it arrives I am a bit disappointed. This book surpassed my expectations.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 18 April 2012
I'm sure this is going to be one of your favourite quilting books, it is one of my favourites. It's modern, stylish, sophisticated and chic. The blurb says 'break free, go bold' and that's exactly what you'll be doing with these ideas for improvisational quilting. Great photographs and step by step instructions plus fresh, stunning designs that will get you thinking outside the box. You'll learn seven techniques and you'll be able to practise them on the projects. If you are interested in contemporary or art quilts, this is a must. I would happily recommend this to anyone and everyone. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.
on 23 November 2012
To me, this is my ideal modern quilt book!!! It has amazing photography, packing the book with pages upon pages of stunning inspirational projects of a wonderful mixed variety!!!
I love the layout of this book, it's been so well thought out during the design process. The typography is funky, yet the the instructional print/font is fresh, and easy to read.
I love the layout of the instructional pictures, they too are brilliantly presented, clear, simplistic making the projects feel manageable and not overly complicated, which many books can accidentally do. I love the balance of colour of the projects and the layout colour in general inside this book which makes it look so professional, it leaps above the heads of other quilting books available at the moment.
This is a substantial book in size, 174 pages. I have not yet read it all, cover to cover as there is so much information to take in. This is a contemporary style quilt book only.
This book covers :-
Tools and materials
Quilting basics
Colour and design
Finishing touches
Free piecing techniques and projects
Log cabin improvisation, techniques and projects
Slicing and insert techniques and projects
Stitch and flip triangles techniques and projects
Strip piecing techniques and projects
Crazy piecing modern style method and projects
Stitching improvisational curves techniques and projects,
Resources section.

An excellent resource for inspirational quilters and a wonderful gift for a quilter or special friend.
ENJOY, inspire and create :)
on 19 September 2014
As an experienced sewer but new quilter I wanted inspiration and having glanced through this book but not yet started any projects inspiration is abundant here!! I look forward to making many items inspired by these techniques!! :D
on 3 March 2013
I'm a quilter and know little about 'modern quilting' as yet but I saw Jacquie Gering on 'The Quilt Show' and was very taken with her work and techniques. I was particularly impresssed that she had inspired a group of quilters in the area where the episode was filmed to throw her a surprise tea party. They had all made place settings inspired by her book for the occasion. It was just their way of saying thank you for the book. Tells you something, doesn't it.
on 2 October 2013
I really like the new modern way of making quilts.
There is lots of interesting techniques and new designs.
i would recommend this book to anyone who would like a change in designs.
Very pleased with it.
on 26 October 2015
I love the projects in this book which are very inspiring. They offer a clean, modern take on the traditional quilt blocks such as the log cabin.

The customer service of the vendor was impeccable!
on 1 September 2012
Love it. I bought a few books on sinilar topuics at pretty much the same time, this is one of my favourites. Good ==
on 25 May 2013
Modern style quilting is not to everyone's taste, but if it is, then this book is a first class introduction to the technique with clear photographs, diagrams and instructions on all aspects of modern quilting.