on 18 January 2013
Having used Quickbooks for years we didn't think twice before upgrading to the 2013 Pro version. What a big mistake that was.

It wouldn't install, kept crashing, made a mess of the existing copy of Quickbooks which when we called support they said install the customise option to give us the option of leaving our current version which we needed to keep. It still tried to remove our current version which kept making it crash. Fortunately we had a backup. In the end we had to remove the previous version manually to get the 2013 version to install. In the end we wasted about a day trying to get it to work. Their helpline support didn't really know the product and were next to useless.

Once installed it wouldn't let us save the company file to anything but the C: drive as it thought if it wasn't on the C: drive then it must be on some sort of server which it couldn't find so now we have to manually copy it so it's backed up properly. Running the Quickbooks Nettool didn't help either and just wasted more time. It then kept telling us our VAT number wasn't valid and had to reboot the machine and try to load it again which then accepted it.

Loading it is sooooo slooowww and takes about 1 minute to load whereas the previous version sprang into life instantly. Now it's telling us we have to waste more time ringing up Quickbooks to Register the software despite having paid for it and already entered the licence and product keys a dozen times.

They've messed about with the interface which you can't change. Filling in forms like "Enter BIll" are badly designed with a 'busy' background which makes it difficult to enter the information and see where you are. The program is really slow to respond and you're always waiting for it to catch up compared to our old version which was fine. Overall this version is a pain to install and a pain to use. This is the last copy of Quickbooks we'll buy and will be sending it back as soon as they email us the return form that Intuit promised to email but still hasn't arrived!

DON'T BUY IT!
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am an independent consultant and run my own invoicing, VAT and overall finances with an accountant running payroll and end of year books.

I have been using Excel, as many do, and have been looking for a simple solution that can manage invoice to remittance and calcualte my VAT. Not too complex really!

First impressions were good but I expected it to be easier to use. I expected more wizards where you simply add customers, products and VAT details. This was not really easy to do - it may be possible to do these things but I could not find out how despite a lot of looking...I could not see how to add day and or hour rates and then be able to easily select, add a quantity and date to/from and put a period of time on one invoice

VAT was certainly a challenge. There is a HMRC scheme called 'flat VAT' to reduce paperwork and make it simpler and cheaper for the business and HMRC. There is no simple way to set this up. I 'googled' this issue - as its a show stopper re VAT calcualtion - and it is a very common complaint. There is a way to do it but it is far too messy and complex to set up. I am using it but running my Excel method in parrallel and will make a call by end of November if I will continue with it. I will use between now and then to see if the consultancy billing is possible and if the flat VAT can be set up without it driving me mad....
on 19 October 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a user of QuickBooks Pro 2012 I was interested to see what new features the new version brings to merit the upgrade. The short answer is not many. The user interface is a little more intuitive, but there are no features or changes substantial enough to warrant upgrading at such a cost.

The software itself remains excellent, for a small business it's a hassle free and very thorough accounts package. Personally I'd save the money and buy the 2012 version, but would certainly recommend the QuickBooks Pro software overall.

This package is well suited for small businesses or sole traders who undertake a large number of transactions. I think this package has an excellent balance between cost and features, and contains everything a small business needs especially if they do not have employees they need to generate payslips for. This does make the job of doing your own accounts very simple, so long as you update as you go rather than sticking everything in a box to do once a month. It can also easily send reports to your accountant in various formats if that is your preferred way of doing things.
on 30 August 2013
This version does not open Company files created with Quickbooks 2003 and before. There is a conversion method involving downloading a trial copy of the 2006 version of the program, however this will not run on Windows Vista or Windows 7, you don't find this last fact out until you have read through the instructions for making the conversion. You apparently have to send your file off to Intuit for a manual conversion. So I am not too happy.

Yes I should have said the Conversion program will run on Windows XP, however don't bother trying to run the Conversion program in XP compatibility mode in Vista or Windows 7 that won't work either. I am waiting on Quickbooks getting back to me about their conversion service, which is apparently free.

I spoke to Intuit about converting my files, as soon as I mentioned it they suggested I borrow a XP machine and convert the file myself. Ok I know quite a lot about computing and so I had thought of that, I didn't argue with them as I didn't really want to send my Company Files to them anyway, I have bought an old Xp laptop off Ebay for £64 and am going to convert the file myself. I will update this review once the laptop arrives and I do the conversion.
on 20 February 2013
I have been using QB5 for many years then, without warning, my computer died. I bought QB13 to put on a new computer but the files are not compatable and need transcoding into a recognizable format by QB. Their blurb indicates that this would take 14 days. It is now the 20th of Feb and to date is 23 days and still no sign of the new files. To make things worse, with the product you are given 30 days of free technical help which, they are counting down whilst they are organising the files for me to start using the programme, by the time I get them the free help will be all but used.

To say I am disgusted would be an injustice.
on 29 July 2013
This product is reasonable easy to use and the reports are nice. BUT It says it can upload HSBC statements and it can't as HSBC does not export in that file type. You have to go though a third party, oh yeah you have to register by giving your bank details to Intuit so they can automatically charge you £10 per month once you have finished the trial period. The online community could not answer my question.
on 8 May 2013
This gets one star because on the Intuit support not because of the product which is good. The only reason I had to buy this product was the fact that I changed computer and could not get QuickBooks Pro 2010 to run on Windows 7.0. I spent three days on the internet trying to find a solution and nothing works. Intuit blames Microsoft and Microsoft blames Intuit. Beware of this company once the software is a couple of years old they are not interested.
on 4 December 2014
Decent Product on the whole. Quite intuitive for non-accountants. Well laid out and easy to get going. The reporting suite is useful as well. The problems start when you hit a small problem or exception. All of a sudden your VAT is out of balance maybe or you try and edit an entry and the product doesn't work. I have an accountant who is very skilled at software & reporting packages and he would agree with the above. Good on the surface but oh so frustrating when things go wrong.

Budget - Rogue line items kept appearing which I deleted, copy across to empty and then "save" and "ok" and open budget again. The Budget wont save with these lines empty. I spent 4hrs with support in Mexico/Phillipines on this explaining it each day. Absolutely mind numbingly tedious.
Bills Due - I accidentally paid a supplier £800 twice as QB keeps showing amounts due in Pay Bills - I go to a Quickreport to review transactions and do a reconciliation and it all balances to zero £800 Invoice & £800 Payment but I go to "Pay Bills" and there the amount is waiting to be paid. Even if I "pay" it in QB it still appears. QB Fillipines helpline - 2 hrs to not resolve it.
VAT - QB has amassed a legacy £15k difference in the VAT account and neither my accountant nor QB can work out what has happened (4hrs on the phone in 6 different calls - no resolution).

The call centre staff in Mexico/Phillipines are trained at quite a low level and they have a shared "subject matter expert" between a large group of them who dips in and out on remote desktop. This means you spend long periods on hold awaiting your call handlers turn with the "expert" . So what should be a 5 or 10 minute call with a person dedicated to your call turns in to a 1 or even 2 hour battle of wits and patience jousting with the call handler who guesses at the problem try and conclude the call by getting you of the phone one way or another (they will call it "resolved" but its really not).

CAVEAT EMPTOR.
on 2 September 2013
I purchased this at the full price after waiting for a promotional price - which never happened. Quickbooks occasionally have a significant reduction - something like £99 - so I would wait for these offers. The software is not too bad, considering all the reviews - but I think people are hung up on the initial layout.

I can understand this issue, but I don't mind it. I am however absolutely astounded to see of the archaic functionality still intact the way it was in 2006 - such as the invoice layout designer. Very clunky.

The other big downside is the severly limited hook-ups with UK banks. I have used quickbooks in USA, and they have hundreds of banks which work with QB. the UK banks that QB hooks up with are Barclays, American Express and HSBC. Not even Lloyds or Nat West, let alone the smaller banks - which again is not what you would expect from a software company that has been around for many years. Absolutely dismal.

Some silly bugs exist - and there is no help from QB directly unless I think you pay for it. The forums are mostly guessing, and trying to find work arounds - I haven't seen many QB people answering questions

its not a polished piece of software, which is surprising, since QB have been at this game for years. However I looked at *a lot* of accountancy packages, and this one had good features vs the price.
on 9 May 2013
Hangs on installation with Windows 7. Tried 3 times after removing anti-virus, no good. Internet support useless as you have to be registered. Telephone support spent too long getting my details to register me. I think software should load straight out of the box these days.