The Quick and the Dead: Under Siege in Sarajevo Hardcover – 3 Oct 1994
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Janine di Giovanni was born in America in 1961. She worked for the Associated Press until 1987, when she moved to London, whence she has reported from Latin America, Bosnia and the West Bank. She is the author of Against the Stranger: Lives in Occupied Territory and The Quick and the Dead: Under Siege in Sarajevo. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
It concentrates almost entirely on the experiences of the Bosnian-Muslim population, since they were the ones under siege in Sarajevo. She does mention a few encounters with Serbs, none positive.
Another element I really am glad she included, was some of the history, as cursory as it was and had to be for such short book, it was enough gain a very basic understanding of what happened and a slightly better idea why.
Finally, she brings in the point that the world stood by so long and watched what was happening, and what human beings, once again, and tragically so, were doing to each other. She makes it so personal, to our benefit, so it's not just news anymore, ordinary people, like you and me, in extrodinary circumstances, and it made me wonder what it would have been like had it been me and family and friends suffering.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Military History
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938