Customer reviews

The Quantum Enigma
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 March 2017
Epica were the third band in this genre I discovered years ago. They are still one of the best in this area. Easily in my top three...and this album is excellent, has it all.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 July 2014
Epica have not released a duff one yet and this is right up there with the best. Love Simone's voice. Keep rocking Dudes.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 May 2014
I never really gelled with the previous album ('Requiem ...') but this one is right back on form. Plenty of all the good stuff that made previous Epica albums stand out from the crowd plus some extra heaviness sprinkled in here and there. Plenty of orchestra and choir use which is critical in this genre. Nearly every track is a winner. If you like Epica or symphonic metal in general (including death growls) then this is for you.
on 6 June 2014
Sometimes one can like a band and its body of work and then they do something extraordinary, this album is that "extraordinary".
The album is just under 70 minutes of pure symphonic metal brilliance and I defy any fan of Nightwish, Within Temptation, Delain & Xandria not be blown away by this album.
on 28 May 2014
Epica's best album since their very first (Phantom Agony) and perfect to recommend if anyone ever asks what is meant by 'symphonic metal'. All the band's strengths are on display, intelligent lyrics, beautiful vocals from Simone, plus the orchestrations are becoming ever more confident. Essentially the voices and lead instruments are now performing solo parts in an overal symphonic vision rather just acting as counterpoints to the orchestral passages. Really Jansen and his collaborators now ought to attempt a full-scale metal opera and/or a major film director should let him score their next epic.
on 10 June 2014
I thought long & hard over 4 or 5 stars for this one and in the end I went for 5, as on balance, I can't really fault this release.
My initial misgiving was that despite repeated listens, the materiel on offer here didn't come across as varied or as accesable as their previous album. But that was then and this is now, as they say - if I want "Requiem for the Indifferent", it's still there, just as good as ever. This is a different beast, I feel. It has all of the standard Epica trademarks (as you'd expect) but they have moved on a bit, which is probably a good thing.
As I said, I can't fault this album. As you'd expect, all the performances are flawless. Simone's voice is just beautiful. Isaac's solos are outstanding - not self indulgent or over long but just right to enhance the songs - he's the best thing to happen to Epica in a good while!
If you like Epica - you won't be disappointed. If you like symphonic metal in general - again you won't go far wrong with this one.
All in all, it deserves it's 5 stars.
Well done Epica!!
on 29 August 2014
I bought this album about a month ago, but every time I tried to listen to it my CD player started playing up. I even bought a second copy of the CD because I thought the first was wonky, but that one played up too. The funny thing is it was only THIS CD out of all my collection that went wrong. To cut a long story short I have finally managed to listen to the whole album on a good system, and what an album it is.

It is much better than Design Your Universe which is the other Epica album that I own. The musicianship on Quantum is amazing and Simone's singing hits a real high. Slowly over the course of the album a whole operatic story unfolds. The lyrics add a lot to the whole feel of the album and are really quite philosophical. You can see the band dug deep to draw this amazing music from within.

Symphonic Metal does not come better. The emphasis in this album is probably more on symphony rather than metal, but I don't mind that. I love the title too..... ;-) Excellent album.
on 5 May 2014
Can Epica do no wrong? This latest recording by Epica is fantastic. Simone Simons voice floats from one song to another, the use of many voice choirs on some of the tracks is sublime. Be aware though, if you download the tracks using auto rip you only get the first 13 tracks of the album, the 14th track (in all conscience) and the tracks from cd 2 are not present.

If you liked the other Epica albums you will love this album too.
on 19 May 2014
Straight out of the gates, this album is stunning. I wasn't a huge fan of Requiem, Design was my favorite EPICA album. I was a little cautious that this one would follow suit to the former.

It didn't, and what we have is a thing of beauty. Brutal at times, and sweepingly wonderful the next. The production personifies the quality of the tracks perfectly. Every nuance can be heard. The musicianship is first rate and incredibly tight - as we have come to expect from EPICA, but this really raises the bar! Simone sounds incredible.

It's difficult to pick favorites when so many of the songs are brilliant. I love Essence of Silence, the chorus alone is an absolute belter, and will surely be a live favorite.

In short, this is EPICA at their very very best. If somebody asked me to tell them what EPICA sounded like, and what they were about. I would simply hand them this album.
on 6 May 2014
Epica have quite simply never sounded better, songwriting here really is top notch and Simone absolutely nails it! One word though get the 2 disc version (think it's called digipack or something?) as that's the one which includes the bonus track 'In All Conscience' (bass player Rob van der Loo's debut composition for the band) as it's really good. There is a wide range of material on offer here, whatever your favourite aspect of this band may be The Quantum Enigma would seem to visit it at some point during its very impressive 70 odd minute journey. The Quantum Enigma is brutal, yet beautiful and it's everything a symphonic metal album should be.