on 9 October 2001
I found this text invaluable whilst studying the "quantitative management" module of a post-graduate business course. It provided a useful revision of various A-level mathematics statistics theories and was a good introductory text for students on the course who had no prior statistical knowledge. The clear, logical and easy-to-read layout included an abundance of fully-explained (and realistic) examples which helped consolidate one's learning of the theories. I particularly appreciated the "plain-speaking" approach in this book which is so often lacking in academic texts. It really did make learning easier!
Possibly it could benefit from a "further reading" or "references" section at the end of each chapter to point out other relevant texts that may be of use to students seeking further application or detail on a topic.
All-in-all I can highly recommend this text as a learning resource.
on 31 May 2001
I bought this book to assist my work as a business analyst as I had forgotten a lot of the statistical techniques I learnt at school and university.
The book is well arranged and has a "user friendly" feel. It explains matters fairly simply and has plenty of worked examples.
However the book suffers from one major drawback - it is full of basic errors that should have been corrected by proper proof reading. I spotted 15 errors in the first five chapters. Some of these are pure typos but others include basic mathematical errors such as putting a "+" instead of a "-" and stating that 500 x 0.2 = 1 (it should state 500 x 0.2% = 1). These errors are very annoying and I would recommend other introductory statistics books that have been properly proof read before publication.
on 23 May 2014
I bought the book as a second-hand item. It was described as in very good condition and that's precicely how it arrived. It also came at a very low cost, so I had to wait a little longer for deliver by standard post. I will definitely try to do business with this vendor again.
on 16 September 2013
Nothing much to say. It is the same as the previous editions but as we know the subject will not change much.
on 15 December 2015