on 9 April 2017
Echo and Noah are from two ends of the social spectrum (McGarry is at her best with opposite attraction). Echo was once popular girl, dance team member and on track for an art scholarship. But after the death of her older brother and a traumatic episode involving her mother, she becomes withdrawn and distant from everyone, hiding her inner and outer scars. She is also repressed by her controlling father and his new wife, who was embarrassingly her childhood babysitter.

Noah is the labeled 'dodgy' boy who sits at the back of class and lunch, involved with violence, drugs and hook-ups. After the death of his parents and the painful separation from his younger brothers, he has been through the mill of abusive foster care. He is someone who has given up on trust, especially from authority figures, and fights tooth and nail to get his brothers back. Both Echo and Noah's days are filled with anger and silence. When a guidance councilor brings them together, their initial impression of each other- impressions created by gossip and stereotyping, gradually sift away to make room for their consuming attraction.
Their romance is so fierce, but the wounds from their problems are so raw, McGarry creates an exiting struggle of wanting and never wanting to be the characters. The plot is driven by the mystery of Echo's memory, as she fails to remember the detail of her trauma. Echo's mother suffers from bipolar disorder and she fears that she will also loose control and be accused of 'craziness'. The story deals with the lack of understanding mental illnesses and how it is dealt with. As Echo's memory comes back in fearful shards, she tries to loosen her father's safety grips, while Noah does battle with society to reclaim his brothers. Everybody's limits are tested as the characters challenge those that restrict them as well as pushing their inner scars to extremes. Long at times, the novel was an addictive whirlwind of fatal build-ups and made me look forward to my train journey after a trying day at work.
on 21 April 2017
I loved this book. It was intense, sad, funny and well written. Echo and Noah are troubled teens who the school counsellor gets together to help each other. Noah plays the bad boy who actually is extremely vulnerable with an amazing sense of loyalty. Echo has scars from an accident she doesn't remember. Slowly they let down their barriers and heal each other. The author deals with some hard issues but they appropriate to the story .
on 8 June 2013
I bought this book for my Kindle after hearing many great things about it and it certainly didn't disappoint, in fact it surpassed all my expectations!

The scene that opened the story was Echo's therapy session, it raised many questions and also gave me an intriguing view of her mind - she was not in a good place but seemed very likeable. At this point I established that something serious had happened and I was keen to find out exactly what that was. It was obvious that Echo had a problem with her father and his new wife, the tension between them was almost palpable, and there also seemed to be a big secret involving her mother. The secret wasn't revealed until quite near the end of the book so I found myself flying through the pages in order to find out what it was.

Now on to the love interest Noah, who was everything I had hoped he would be - he definitely had a bad boy attitude and the banter between him and Echo was great to read, I particularly liked how he called her his siren (it was impossible not to fall a little bit in love with his character). The author has a great talent for creating sexual tension in her writing and I'm happy to say that this featured regularly throughout the book.

The thing that surprised me about Pushing The Limits was just how deep and meaningful it was, I was expecting the usual school/boyfriend issues with maybe a little bit of family drama thrown in and I got so much more. I was floored by how much this story got to me - I certainly hadn't expected to be crying over it!

This was a touching read with plenty of sexual tension, I would definitely recommend it.
It felt like EVERYONE was reading and loving this book and series, and to be honest, I wouldn't have picked it up based on the cover alone. But I did, and I really, really enjoyed it. I loved the mysterious elements, I loved the "issues" and I loved the development of the relationship between the two main characters. I'd definitely recommend this to those who prefer a grittier contemporary and a great romance.

Check out my full review on Confessions of a Book Geek!
www.confessionsofabookgeek.com
on 5 January 2013
OMG this was such an amazing story. It's one of those books that I was not able to put down (yeah I'm the one reading whilst cooking, ironing and instead of sleeping whilst reading this).

The romance between Noah and Echo was slow and beeautiful, two messed up kids that find each other in the dark. Noah is a bad boy but OMG when he shows his soft side ........... M-E-L-T!! My heart broke for both of them, they went through what kids should never have to go through.

Every 5* reveiw this book has received is more than worth it, it's one I have thought about for days. I love books that do that to me, get me so drawn in and involved I LIVE it!! This is one of those, and then some. It was a page turner from beginning to end, and although I would have loved an epilogue of them a few years down the line I don't feel cheated that I didn't get one. So KMG, is there a possibility of a book 2 hint, hint!
on 6 July 2016
Wow. Awesome. This one gave me all the feels. Love Noah. Love, love, love him! Character development was superb in this book. Both mains were complex with significant issues and they grew so much as individuals when they became a couple. Combine an emotionally complex plot with beautiful writing and perfect pacing and you have one exhilarating read. I loved every word. Highly Recommended. A truly brilliant read.
on 15 February 2013
This book was read in a day, just couldn't put it down as I so desperately wanted to know.what happens to Echo and Noah

The two main characters have their own separate issues to deal with but are fling together by their counsellor who suggests Echo tutors Noah. With alternate chapters coming from both characters the author has created a book that is touching, moving and inspirational.

I read this book in one day, it moved me to tears and I would recommend everyone read this incredible novel telling the story of two troubled teenagers finding their way out of the nightmare that they have lived through.
on 15 January 2013
Not my usual choice of book, but read it in 2 days. Keeps you guessing what could have happened with Echo, how could her mother intentionally hurt her. It's terrible when someone you should trust betrays you. Found the characters very realistic and felt transported back to my teenage years.
on 4 February 2013
This was a sad and beautifully written love story. I thought the characters were really well developed and enjoyed the interaction between them. I read it really quickly, and was engrossed in their background stories and the chemistry between Noah and Echo was really believeable. I found myself rooting for Noah and desperate to know what had happened to Echo. I would highly recommend this if you like a good love story.
on 16 December 2012
This book was beautifully written. You could really feel the connection between the two main characters Echo and Noah. Quite sad in parts, especially with the topic of fostering.
I would read this again and can recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good love story.
I look forward to reading more of her work.