Size: Pack Of 1|Change
Price:£8.35+ Free shipping

on 30 June 2014
Product: Pura Vida Raw Vegan Broccoli Bread 350 g, by Pura Vida

Reason for buying:
I decided to buy this product because I had never tried anything like it before and I wanted to experience the positive benefits of Pura Vita bread:

Benefits of raw bread:
- A complete and highly balanced food
- Contains a number of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins
- Living, raw & sprouted
- Gluten free
- Easy to digest
- High in Omega-3 rich flax seed

Research:
Having conducted a significant amount of research into natural bread, I came up with a very specific requirement list that had to be fully met:

- Raw
- Organic
- Unbleached
- Gluten Free
- Natural ingredients
- Contains no additives or preservatives
- Sugar Free
- Processed at cool temperatures

Product manufacturer:
Pura Vida are an unique company because they are the only raw sprouted bread manufacturers on the European Market. They carefully prepare their seed ingredients to lower the anti-nutrient phytates (Antioxidants found in nuts, legumes and grains that block nutrient absorption) levels.

Taste & Nutrition:
The product comes in 4 different flavours so I decided to buy one of each (marks out of ten for taste included):
- Broccoli (8/10)
- Banana (9/10)
- Chia Bread (10/10)
- Chocolate (8.5/10)

When I opened the packet and looked at the product, it looked like something that our ancestors would have been eating thousands of years ago before the bread making process evolved. I was initially concerned that it would taste like cardboard and that's exactly what it tasted like (I was so used to eating the cheap overly processed bread that I buy from supermarkets).
HOWEVER, ironically, after eating more of it on and off for several days, my body got used to the taste and I felt that I had eaten something that my body really wanted and hadn't had before. Although it's an extremely nutritionally dense food, I did not experience any bloating.

What to eat it with?. I tried making a banana sandwich with it and found it OK to eat. I found that eating small amounts of it with my favourite dips (Humous, Garlic & Chives etc) worked better however I must admit that I enjoyed it the most on its own (I don't think that children would like it though).

Value / Comparison vs other raw bread products:
Prices:
- Broccoli (9.81/350g)
- Banana (£9.81/350g)
- Chia Bread (£9.81/350g)
- Chocolate (£12.08/350g

At £9.81/350g this bread appears to be significantly overpriced at first, however considering that it is such an unique (there are no european competitors) and healthy product, it's more reasonably to warrant such a steep price. Unfortunately most people (including me) could not warrant spending so much money on a weekly basis on what is effectively "just bread", however it is more affordable to eat less frequently. Although the company do not have any European competitors, they do have a tastier flavour than Broccoli though; namely Chia Bread.

Verdict: An excellent choice if you are gluten free, have a high budget for 'superfoods' or if you are hiking / travelling and want a complete food source that will not go off due to high external temperatures.
If however you are not gluten intolerant and have not dedicated such a high food budget for this type of product then I would recommend eating wholemeal bread instead. Although it's not as nutritious as this product, it is significantly cheaper and goes better with other foods (I only use Burgen Bread).

Negatives:
The only negative is the price. It's a shame that the company don't sell the product in larger amounts which would reduce the price per Kg of the product.

Feedback:
If you wish to comment on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks
on 4 August 2013
This is my favourite of all the Pura Vida breads. It has a rich savoury flavour and once you start the packet you really don't want to stop.

It is more like a cross between a cracker and a bread. I usually eat it on it's own but it is good topped with a raw nut butter and slices of tomato or cucumber. I find it a bit hard to make a sandwich out of but really that's my only quibble.

A high quality mega healthy product for a very reasonable price. See Pura Vida's website for bulk purchasing if, like me, you don't want to risk running out.
on 23 May 2015
Absolutely disgusting, sure it's super healthy but tastes like stinky socks and has texture of leather.
on 30 May 2013
It was sooo good! I'm getting more! On time, and tasted just amazing. Absolutely loved it! Recommend it to everyone
on 21 July 2014
Not the greatest taste.
on 22 January 2015
bad fast could'nt eat even one bit!!!