Punishment and Modern Society: A Study in Social Theory (Clarendon Paperbacks) Paperback – 14 May 1992
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
This is a superbly intelligent study, without doubt the best yet written on a topic, penality, which the author has done so much to develop ... As a state of the art account it is unlikely to be bettered for many a year. (Rod Morgan, British Journal of Criminology)
an insightful critique of existing approaches to the theory of punishment (Harvard Law Review)
a landmark study (Andrew Rutherford, Legal Studies)
About the Author
David Garland is Professor of Sociology and Law at New York University. He is the author of Peculiar Institution: America s Death Penalty in an Age of Abolition. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
As a consequence, Garland goes through Durkheim's, Rusche's, Kircheimer's, Marx-inspired, and Foucault's theories among others with providing deep analyses of their argumentation, and no less deep criticism of their reasoning, to further the discussion.
Interesting read to know about the different theories and move on with further questions to investigate.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Social & Economic History > Health & Welfare
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Sociology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Law & Disorder > Criminology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Law & Disorder > Punishment
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology