on 23 May 2010
The 6th edition book is rather different from 5th edition. First of all, it is much shorter. The order of chapters is completely redone, and a lot of background information from 5th edition is now only available online. This makes it less suitable as a comprehensive style guide compared to APA 5th.

There are some important style changes that will influence writing papers (most notably how to make reference for papers with more than 6 authors, a change that requires referencing software like Endnote and ReferenceManager to re-program part of their core architecture). So everyone going to send papers should adopt this new version (although many journals still ask for APA 5th style!).

A major improvement over the 5th edition is the extensive section on ethics of publishing, which outlines what counts as plagiarism, how much self-plagiarism is allowable and in which circumstances, etc.

All in all, I will use this new edition next to the much more comprehensive 5th edition for the foreseeable future.
on 28 January 2016
I am an Undergraduate Psychology student, in my final year. I bought this manual to help me with my citations and references for my dissertation. The APA referencing system is something that I have always struggled with. I have previously found that many of the online information on APA referencing is unclear and that websites contradict each other (this is probably due to the many different editions and revisions). So despite having used this referencing system throughout my time at University, I was still not 100% certain on the rules. So far, I have found this book to be really informative and I feel like I will be able to submit my dissertation with complete piece of mind – knowing that I have followed the official rules for my references. I also thought that the price for this book was really good. In the past I have purchased core textbooks for my course which have been £80. So I thought that £20 for a new book was great. I really should have purchased this book when I started my degree. I didn’t think that I would need one at the time, but I would definitely advise anyone who is starting a degree, in which they will be required to use the APA referencing system, to buy this book. I was also great that I could use my Amazon Prime to purchase this book as I ordered it quite late, it came the next day. Overall, I think this book is going to be really useful.
on 8 October 2008
Most people aren't crazy about this book but have to buy it because it is required- in other words, people buy this book because they have to use the format and style it discusses in order to write and submit a paper. Other than that, I don't know who else would go out of their way to buy this thing. It's thick and not thumb indexed the best. Other psychological books readers may benefit from include The Sixty-Second Motivator.
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2009
It is riddled with errors. Perhaps APA will hire a proofreader (or even an editor, too) before the 2nd printing. Use the 5th edn and wait until the 2nd printing before purchasing.
on 25 February 2017
recommended if you want to have a guidance on the APA style. There are clear guidelines on how to report values in tables and how to format tables for scientific writing. However, there are typos and the quality of the paper is very low though I appreciate that maybe is done with recyclable paper. However, given the price maybe they should've used a better quality of recyclable paper.
on 15 June 2012
I am over the moon with this book, not only has it helped me with my punctuation of psychological reports and essays but it has also shown me how to structure them. It is very handy and gives examples of how things should be laid out in any APA Formatted document. The ring-binded copy is welcomed as it made it easier for me to work through all of the different topics in the book, and to flick between A and B; as you may find yourself doing this quite a bit. However, the ringbinding could have been a little sturdier, it sometimes feels that some of the pages may come lose from the bindings, but this is an issue in any binding like this. Regardless, it is a vey nice book and well worth the money!

It is worth considering this book over the newer addition, as I have had the newer one on loan from my Uni Library and it seems to simplify LOADS so its for those who already have an understanding of APA as it misses a lot out - whereas this is an ideal book for the first time student!
on 29 May 2012
Do we need a standard format and style in order to facilitate the world-wide dissemination of scientific knowledge? If so, then the APA Publication Manual is the best scheme so far devised. It is subject to continuous revision, so if you think some of the guidance is wrong or inappropriate, tell the editors - you'll find a feedback form on their website - and look out for the seventh edition.
Although early reviews of this sixth edition criticised the inadequate proofreading, I haven't myself looked for misprints; my copy is the third printing, and I haven't noticed any casual errors, so I assume that the process of correction has been successful.
One advantage of a well-developed scheme is that editors and peer reviewers can easily defend their requirements for amendments and/or resubmissions of manuscripts, thus - one can hope - reducing the sense of grievance felt by a rejected author.
For obvious reasons, the content relates specifically to psychology publications but the principles set out - including strictures on the presentation of data - easily extend to other sciences. From a British perspective, everything works fine, but you would be better off consulting the OED rather than Webster's for publishing in the UK.
An addendum for legal scholars: Appendix 7.1 explains how to refer to legal materials, but these instructions relate only to US materials. For guidance on British (and other overseas) legal materials, you still need to check OSCOLA at [...]
Overall, the APA Manual gives indispensable guidance on how to prepare scientific work for publication.
HALL OF FAMEon 5 January 2006
There are many style manuals available, and many different styles from which to choose (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.). For those who are involved in social science and medical research, often the APA style (American Psychological Association) is a required format, and expected.
This is not my favourite format for several reasons, not the least of which is because the footnote/endnote notations do not include first names of authors (a big minus in my estimation). However, the system is a tried-and-true one, and one that shows little sign of decreasing in popularity among its adherents.
That being said, this manual is not for the basic student or author. It does include sections on grammar and usage, but these are meant to be refreshers or references rather than teaching sections. The part that most people will use, the sections on citations in footnotes, endnotes, and in-line/in-text references, is somewhat inadequate here, as the internet and other forms of media have all expanded beyond the scope of the fifth edition. I find that, when I am forced to put something into the APA framework, I am invariably having to go to the internet rather than my guide (or other guides, such as Diana Hacker) because the reference forms simply aren't there.
My first choice of reference form would be the MLA style; APA is somewhat lacking and somewhat confusing in many cases, but for those who need to follow this format, this is one of the better references available.
on 28 March 2016
Using this for my undergrad and it's perfection. It is extremely specific and to the read the whole thing in one go would be futile as there is a lot crammed into this space. Full disclosure lots hate how specific this book is, however, I love it! If only I could double line space and indent this paragraph!
on 19 November 2015
Photocopied version? I bought cheap photocopied books like this from street sellers in South East Asia 15 years ago! Appears like a photocopied version with slightly dodgy alignment and dark shading where there shouldn't be.. you can't read the page numbers due to dubious ink splodges. Annoyed really that's it's not what I paid for...