- Paperback: 360 pages
- Publisher: American Psychiatric Publishing Inc; 1 edition (15 July 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1585623555
- ISBN-13: 978-1585623556
- Product Dimensions: 15 x 3 x 22.6 cm
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
680,912 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #1544 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Cognition & Cognitive Psychology > The Self, Ego & Personality
- #2957 in Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- #2958 in Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- See Complete Table of Contents
Psychodynamic Psychotherapy for Personality Disorders: A Clinical Handbook Paperback – 15 Jul 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"Personality Disorders are among the most prevalent mental disorders, both in the community and in clinical practice. Psychodynamic psychotherapy is an essential element of their treatment, and is frequently the treatment of choice. Clarkin, Fonagy and Gabbard have assembled the world's leading experts (a group that includes themselves) in this comprehensive survey of psychodynamic theory, personality pathology, specific therapies for personality disorders, and evidence concerning their efficacy. Anyone who works with these patients will want this review of research, the current state of treatments, and prospects for the future. An essential reference for any mental health professional who deals with personality disorders."-- "Robert Michels, M.D., Walsh McDermott University Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry, Cornell University, Training and Supervising Analyst, Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research"
"This collection of well-written, concise articles by international leaders in the field is a thorough exploration of the psychodynamic treatment of personality disorders. The volume provides a comprehensive overview of the filed as well as practical information that is expected from a clinical handbook. In addition to an extensive bibliography, each chapter includes a short list of suggested readings."-- "David I. Joseph M.D., The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry", "November 2011"
From the Inside Flap
This well-documented and articulate manual gathers in one place the psychodynamic psychotherapy thinking and research on each of the Axis II personality disorders. Psychodynamic Psychotherapy for Personality Disorders: A Clinical Handbook includes the work of 22 contributing writers in addition to the three primary authors, John F. Clarkin, Ph.D., Peter Fonagy, Ph.D., and Glen O. Gabbard, M.D. Each contributor has extensive clinical experience, and some also have research experience, with the assessment and treatment of specific personality disorders. The focus of the book is the psychodynamic conceptualization, assessment, and treatment of the personality disorders as currently described in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. The 16 chapters are divided into sections that address the definition of personality pathology, approaches to treatment, and research for future directions. The authors conclude that -- to the surprise of many -- new research and reviews indicate that psychodynamic treatments are effective for personality disorders, and their impact is as great as that of cognitive-behavioral treatments.See all Product description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > The Self, Ego & Personality
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- Books > Science & Nature > Reference > Psychology & Psychiatry
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychiatry