on 15 July 1998
This is the best psychic defense book, hands down. The author brings years of personal experiance, and occult study.
You will learn how a personal psychic attack brought her into the study of psychology, and later the occult.
Dion explains all the diffrent aspects of psychic attack, how to defend yourself and others, and when to get outside help. Along with this she explains "Ghosts" and what they are, "Astral Projection", "Vampires", the diffrence between being psychic and psychotic, and more.
This is a MUST for anyone dealing in the paranormal/spiritual realms.
on 17 March 2001
This is an excellent example of the occult genius of Dion Fortune. This book harbours a wealth of personal experiences of the author, and at points resembles more a casebook than a textbook. Some of the cases illustrated are a touch dated now, but still hold true to their original meaning. Dion Fortune's writings in this book are clear in their meaning and show the enormity of the subject she attempts to cover in this work, it leaves you wanting to read more of her works. Though obviously skilled and intelligent, Fortune's manner is anything but condesending, if anything it is very helpful. The book outlines many forms of psychic attack, from true vampirism to past life links with detremental forces. An eye-opener that holds much information that appears to have been lost in the wave of New-age faiths we see today. I would not reccomend this to the complete novice, or one unfamiliar with the terminologies and ways of the occultist, as it may seem a little above the heads of some, nor however would I reccomend it to the adept, other than a good source of illustrative case studies and examples. I would however, without hesitation recommend it to anyone who was delved a little into the world of occultism and wants to learn more.
on 11 July 1999
Psychic Self-Defense is Dion Fortune's greatest work to which she holds great pride. It was written for those working within the field of psychic attack and is an absolute must for the serious occultist. While the language may be dated the message is clear and completely accurate. This is the first book that I have found that reads like a text book for my own work. I have found Dion's pragmatism and jovialty completely inspirational. While her book is an extremely serious read, she is quite the opposite. I know that those drawn to this type of publication will come away with a sense of completeness and a new understanding of their work. A great recommendation to those teaching and to their students, whether in colleges for the spiritual or private groups working in this area. Certainly not for the novice or beginner, this book is definately for the more advanced student or teacher.
on 10 January 2012
This book is just about OK, by which I mean it is full of psychic attack type incidents which happened to Ms. Fortune, but actually not many ways of how she actually counteracted these occurencies, so being called 'Psychic Self-Defence' is actually quite a misnomer.

There does not seem to be much information at all about how one should go about protecting one's self from psychic attack and, actually, the reason I bought it was because I thought that it had that information therein. Sadly, it did not, and I have to that end, only given it two stars.
on 2 December 2004
Although this book was written decades ago, the way it is written makes it very accessible to anyone interested in the occult or paranormal. It is rivetting reading and I found it very eye-opening. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to know more about this kind of subject. Dion Fortune deserves much wider recognition for her work.
on 12 February 2014
I really enjoyed this book,while it wasn't quite as filled with exercises to protect yourself as I was expecting and occasionally I didn't get what was being talked about( Could have done with a glossary to explain some terms to the novice occulist)and it was rather christian in places(I'm a witch so would have to adapt some of the exercises),I found hearing about the authors experiences fascinating,and its very apparent that she was a highly intelligent lady with much skill in the psychic arts.
on 29 June 1999
I've just finished reading this book. It reminded me a lot of Colin Wilson's 'The Occult' and 'Mysteries'. Now I know where CW got his writing style from. This book is, nevertheless, a nice little step inside the mind of an eccentric and impressive woman who combined both psychoanalysis and mysticism to produce a treatise on the powere of the combination of the science of the brain and the 'science' of non-organic, non-corporeal matter and force. It is a thoroughly fascinating book and Dion Fortune expresses a lot of her own strange but unique personality within it. I am now reading her 'Mystical Qabalah' which is equally impressive and I am also starting to understand her jargon. An excellent book.
on 5 March 2006
This book is a pot of knowledge for the occultist, but some of what is written is now no longer relevant to the world, since things change all the time, the reader should use ones own discernment. But for history purposes... Read Read and Read somemore.. Dion Fortune one of the great adepts of the 20th century, fills her books with great stories, great teachings and a lot of information that might not be ready noticed by the novice.. She blends hermes and pagan and christianity, and this is undoubablty why she reaches so many of us in the world.
on 19 August 2009
One of the best books I have read on this subject, should be taught at school in my opinion!
Very clear and concise, easy to read a must for all healers for sure!
on 29 July 2015
I've just started, and I'm new to ideas of the occult but this seems like a really good place to start.