The Psychedelic Experience: Manual Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead Paperback – 6 Feb 2003
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Ralph Metzner, Ph.D., helped found the Harvard Psilocybin Project in 1960 and is now a psychotherapist and professor at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco. He is the author of many books, including "The Psychedelic Experience" (with Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert), "Maps of Consciousness", "Opening to Inner Light", and "The Well of Remembrance". He lives in Sonoma, California.
Ram Dass began his life as Richard Alpert, who went on to become an eminent Harvard psychologist, where he partnered with psychedelic pioneer Dr. Timothy Leary. On a trip to India, Alpert met his guru Neem Karoli who gave him the name Ram Dass, which means "servant of God." After this pivotal encounter, he became a significant influence on a culture that has reverberated with the words Be here now ever since. Be Here Now is the title of Ram Dass s best-selling book, which many consider a bible on their spiritual journeys. Ram Dass has been a guiding light since the 1960s, carrying along millions on the journey, and helping free them from their bonds as he has worked his way through his own.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Leary relates the freeing of the consciousness back to ancient Tibetan wisdom of life with incredible clarity, pointing out the advantage we now have of being able to 'shortcut' the years of spiritual training and discipline usually needed to attain Nirvana.
even if you don't dabble in drugs this is great introductory reading into ancient Buddhism.
Guidance to what to expect immediately after death, and how not to be scared.
Basically, so long as you realise that whatever appears is only, in fact, you yourself, nothing can harm you.
Everything is just different aspects of you. Sorry.
I found the second section, where the detailed descriptions of the Bardos and the experiences which may be expected such as hallucinations, of particular interest but also greatly compromised in terms of clarity by the adaptation/setting for Kindle which is poor. This leads to the text being interrupted mid-paragraph on pretty much every page by page headers. Spacing also seems to have gone out the window so that this section of the book in particular can seem dense and turgid.Read more ›
This book tells the truth clearly. If you want to understand psychedelics, this is the book to read. And if you don't care about psychelics but just want to understand how the consciousness works, go ahead and read it. After all the psychedelic experience is just the normal functioning of the mind with its sensitivity heightened and fluidity amplified by a chemical trigger.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
even though in a vague language the book gives usefull insights which are of great value for the actual experience. i would recommend reading the tibetan book of the dead firstPublished 17 months ago by igor holzinger
I've done strong LSD many times using this book to guide me through the bardos. Strong experiences follow if you use good quality acid. A must for all serious psychonauts. Read morePublished on 29 July 2010 by ANITA
Please dont even raise a serious thought to this 1960's red herring. Nobody can control an Lcd trip for religious use or otherwise. Read morePublished on 5 May 2004 by D. Miller
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Pharmacology
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Parapsychology
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Thought & Practice > New Age
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Sacred Texts > Book of the Dead (Tibetan)
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z
- Books > Science & Nature > Reference > Psychology & Psychiatry
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy > Non-Western
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies