Promise You Won't Tell?
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 July 2017
One of the best reads ever. The writer is highly crafted at using his characters to tease your imagination and keep you hooked. He edges on the borders of controversy and voyeurism but manages to keep coming back to the core plot and making you want more.
on 10 August 2017
Surprisingly good. Good story line making me read the book in about 3 hours. Kept me gripped. It's a must read. Over 13's due to use of inappropriate language and an inappropriate story line. I'm 15 and still found this book intriguing and emotional. Not too gory in the abusive information sections. HOWEVER, it's a book that wrongs facts and creates lies against the laws. Using rape as a disgusting way to achieve money. Keep an open mind if possible. Quite a shocking twist in realistic events! However, this book reveals just how sick some people's minds are.. for better or for worse...
on 10 November 2014
Riley Freeman turns up in Dani Ripper's (Private Investigator) office claiming something happened to her at a sleepover at friend's house & requests Dani's help.

So Dani investigates with help of friends & along the way it's revealed she was hostage rape victim. She makes light of it constantly, talks about sex all time to clients & says so many inappropriate things to them as well.

Story itself was so overcomplicated when there was no need for it to be. The males were evil wee creatures & seems the moral of the story is throwing money at a problem is the solution with no justice whatsoever.

Dialogue was boring, was crude in places & there's no way professionals would talk to clients in derogatory terms like Dani was always doing. "Hey, I was a hostage rape victim but it's okay, I have blonde hair & big boobs!" Most of the time it was like reading a screenplay.

Did not enjoy this at all & will not be reading the rest of the series.
on 12 August 2014
The first few pages contained sexism (Apparently it's weird for two women to shake hands so they went on to have a conversation about their perky breasts), there's absolutely no need for this at all. I decided to stick with the book as I wanted to know what happened to the young girl but I really wish I hadn't. The twist at the end of the story is disgusting and I'm pretty sure some people will be offended by it.
on 13 August 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Dani Ripper is a great character, she came across smart, sassy, sexy, funny, determined & witty. Her business partner Dillon is a young geeky 18 year old but he knows his stuff when it comes to techs & computers. The book starts with various cases Dani is working on as a Private Investigator, her methods are to be questioned but seem to work and her fees reflect this. Dani has a past which in my opinion shows her strength and motivation when Riley turns up to her office asking for help. Riley can't pay her way for Dani's help but due to the nature of her case (Riley believes she was molested at a sleepover) Dani wants to help to get justice. The story opens up and you start wondering who is telling the truth and who is telling lies. I had my thoughts of who was telling the truth and was right but how it all came about isn't what I expected and for me I thought it was a good ending.

For a short read, I have to say as soon as I started to read it I didn't want to stop, every spare minute I was taking in another chapter therefore I recommend this as a fast paced, enjoyable read.
on 6 May 2013
Well now! This is the first of John Locke's books that I've read. I really enjoyed it. The story barrels along, keeping you more than a little interested and there are twists and turns galore. The characters are interesting and the plot is, um, novel! A good indication of how one (especially me) enjoys a book is the time it takes me to read it. This one was on the fast side (faster equals better).

The story revolves around a private detective, who is unconventional and often a little illegal in her methods and the survivor of a serial killer attack who is incidentally a young and pretty woman. The main storyline is her investigation of a yet younger pretty girl being sexually assaulted. There are a number of clues and characters that populate the story, but I must tell you that one of the central clues is a sticker that is on the victim's private parts. Really, what's not to like?

I think I've perhaps hinted that this is something of an erotic novel. In reality it isn't, but what it is, is a sometimes serious, often funny, off-key detective story that'll keep you captive until the last page.
on 8 July 2013
This is one of those speed-read books, as the plot drives forward with a furious intensity. Stephen King once said [paraphrasing] `anything that isn't plot I throw overboard'....and this excellent comedy/mystery couldn't be better described.

The mystery (while not styled like a King book - just to make that clear) is cleverly interwoven and (another simile) is in the best tradition of an Agatha Christie Whodunnit. So many guessing games running through my head about what happened in this quite simple but exhilarating plotline. But as the story opens up, I found myself thinking I had it all figured out, only to find I was nowhere close!

The narrative is stripped down bare - no wasted dragging detail and no fussy foreshadowing - along with a snappy dialogue between characters, and within the main character's commentary.

Danni Ripper is a fascinating woman, funny and intelligent. Her mission in this case is to find out what happened to a drunk teenage girl at a house party, whilst having to wrestle with those powers-that-be who would bury secrets.

The ending had a 'wicked' twist, leaving me surprised and smiling. Loved it!

Great read. Just what I needed. I am now definitely a fan of the enigmatic private detective, Danni Ripper.
on 12 July 2014
I found this a little clunky at times and wasn't keen on the he said she said type of dialogue, in particular tagging dialogue with 'I say' or 'she says' before it happens as it slows the flow of the text down much more than a simple, ' said' or she said' after the dialogue.

At times it was obvious the book was written by a male writing as a female, just by the over-compensating of feminine emotions etc. The story is quite simple and by the time I was half way through I guessed the most of the denouement, but found the involvement of the others in this hard to believe, so rather far-fetched at the end.

But that said, it was okay, sadly that is all it was.

My one question is why is a New York Times bestseller author using cliches?
on 23 April 2013
Having only just purchased a kindle this is the first book ive read on it, in the first few chapters i was a little skeptical but the book rapidly grew on me.

Dani Ripper is a Private Investigator, in her personal life she seems to be confused about her sexuality (small sex scene warning). She Mostly spends her days helping out people who think their partners are cheating on them, quite often taking their underwear and checking the `flulids'.

Everything changes when Riley Freeman walks in to her office one day.

Riley is a 17 year old honor student. Just before attending a sleepover Riley places a strawberry sticker `down below' she doesn't tell anyone, however when somebody the following day calls her Strawberry at school she fears she may have been molested. Everything is not as it seems but you will have to get to the end of the book to find that out.

Over all i really enjoyed reading this book. I kept an open mind (after all the book was free) and it didn't disappoint!

Review taken from my blog - glitterbookworm.tumblr.com
on 1 June 2017
A brilliant novel featuring dani ripper with her teen sidekick Dillon very clever storyline with a great twist at the end being a big fan of John lockes creed series this series featuring private eye dani ripper is every bit as good.kev dilks.