Project Emily: Thor Irbm And The Raf Paperback – 1 Mar 2008
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
John Boyes has written on Thor for many years, giving papers at the annual conference of the British Rocketry Oral History programme. He was consulted by BBC2 for a documentary on Thor and the Cuban Missile Crisis.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The author is not a professional historian, but he uses declassified British sources and interviews with former Thor crewmen, as well as a number of secondary sources, in a manner that would do credit to any professional historian. The book is very clearly written and enjoyable to read. There are few, if any, other books on this subject, and I congratulate the author for producing this definitive study.
The USA needed us to protect them while they built their silo based ICBM's. As someone who worked on "Thor" during the "Cuban Missile Crisis" I was amazed at the wealth of research this author had amassed.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
An excellent detailed story of Britains first strategic nuclear missile the Douglas Thor,during the Cold war.Politics,pressure and operational details galore. Read morePublished 21 months ago by A J Weaver
Excellent read with far more detail than I'd seen before. All the more interesting because of a personal connection to the events of CMC. Read morePublished 21 months ago by Nigel Finlayson
A well researched account of the very short period when the RAF operated this US IRBM in difficult isolated conditions in the East of England.Published on 28 Dec. 2013 by Mr. C. Robinson
An amazing reminder.I was brought up next door to one of the bases and made many friends with the Brit & US Kids.
A story that needs to be told
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Air Forces
- Books > History > Military History > Strategy, Tactics & Military Science
- Books > History > Military History > Weapons & Warfare
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Weapons
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Military & Naval
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Warfare & Defence > Weapons & Equipment