on 4 August 2017
Nice book... Great detail,
on 18 January 2016
The books good, very informative & clear..... but wordpress is a pretty insecure system if not kept up to date & monitored , & tweaked, & fiddled, & nurtured, & watched, & regularly checked on. I won't be using WordPress, as I will be doing the site "maintenance" in-house, & I don't want to have to level too much time at a website... but if you do plan to use wordpress this book would be a good reference. This book is a goodun.
on 27 February 2017
All good
on 18 January 2015
I develop mostly for WordPress and this is a book I wish I'd got years ago to save me much time and effort muddling through the codex, forums and outdated blog posts. I waited a few months for the updated version as the WordPress backend admin and core has changed more than slightly since the 2nd edition was published, this new edition has updated chapters on Theme Development, focuses more on using WordPress ambitiously as an App Framework, going beyond the CMS. Really good read with great examples and I'm sure it will be my bible going forward with WordPress in 2015.
on 1 August 2017
I have given this book 5 stars because it is a comprehensive book and is good for seasoned developers. However, I must emphasise that in my opinion this is definitely not a book for beginners. If you at not a developer or a programmer, then this book is not for you. This a very complex and code heavy book. I am completely lost because I have no knowledge of MySQL or PHP scripting language, or in fact any other code except a little HTML. The clues is in the title "Professional", "Design and Development".
on 1 November 2011
I'm a beginner at WordPress, and when I first opened this book I thought 'Oh My God' and shut it again! There's so much information and it looks so daunting. When I sat down to read it properly I realised that it's really very good and instructive, and I'm on my way to making a not-too-bad WordPress website. Some of the book is way above my head at the moment, but I'm working on it.
on 27 March 2011
WordPress is a fantastic blogging tool -Simple, easy and SEO friendly. But there is much, much, more to WordPress. It can be used as a full CMS framework. I have tried several CMS frameworks; none come close to giving you the fast development environment that Word Press can.
Professional WordPress Design and Development is the best book to harness the power of WordPress

If you are like me, you probably want to create your own customised websites, but:

1. You don't want to start from scratch (don't reinvent the wheel - that's already been done).
2. You want to create code modules/plug-in/custom functions that are unique to your site.

You can get 1,000's of WordPress plug-ins from the WordPress site, but if you also want to create your own plug-ins - well this is the book for you. The book teaches you, how to setup WordPress and the processes behind the CMS framework, it then takes you to the point and beyond of creating your own plug-ins and functions.

You can have it your way - you really can!
on 13 May 2016
As a web developer who has an interest in moving to Wordpress, I found this far too complex and full of jargon. Unless you are a seasoned Wordpress user, I would avoid this one for now.
on 7 March 2013
If you are or want to be a WordPress developer you need two books: this one and "Wordpress Plugin Development" by B.Williams, O.Richard and J.Tadlock
Do not buy this book if you just want to learn how to customise WordPress themes and templates because here authors go onto the next step.
on 30 September 2016
Not what I expected, quite a disappointment. If you are wanting to build your on theme, do not buy this book, it is very unhelpful
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse