- Paperback: 438 pages
- Publisher: Wrox; 1 edition (8 Dec. 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0470079886
- ISBN-13: 978-0470079881
- Product Dimensions: 18.8 x 2.3 x 23.4 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 4,001,834 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Professional VMware Server (Programmer to Programmer) Paperback – 8 Dec 2006
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
Developing software and testing within virtual machines provides you with countless advantages in terms of automation, stability, disaster recovery, and overall code quality. With this book as your guide, you get the tools you need to create a fleet of virtual machine images that you can use to build your own secure applications.
Beginning with the basics of virtualization and its place within the development and testing environment, the book then delves into the APIs and provides a deep, example–rich reference to their function and purpose. VMware expert Eric Hammersley shares his vast experience in using VMware in the development process and shows you how you can streamline your own development with the new VMware Server.
You′ll learn to integrate VMware Server into your existing environment using CruiseControl.NET and Visual Studio® Team System as examples. Plus, you′ll get a clear understanding of virtual hardware, networks, and the server console, and find out how to build base images. You′ll discover the benefits of software development and testing within virtual machines and the advantages they have to offer. This will help you rapidly deploy new machines, set up multiple platforms on a single machine, and dramatically increase the utilization of your hardware.
What you will learn from this book
- Steps on how to install and configure VMware Server
- Tips to follow when creating development base images
- Methods on how to organize your image libraries and prepare them for use
- Best practices for using VmCOM, VmPerl, and the Programming API
- How to integrate VMware Server into your existing environment and automate its functionality
- Ways to leverage VMware Server to provide banks of testing machines on demand
Who this book is for
This book is for software developers, lead developers, and software testing engineers who want to integrate VMware Server into their existing systems in order to create and test applications on various platforms.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet the real–world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.
About the Author
Eric Hammersley (Bedford, IN) has more than 14 years experience in the trenches as an IT professional including 6 years serving as a technical consultant for the U.S. military. He currently serves as CIO for The SASSI Institute.