- Paperback: 494 pages
- Publisher: Wrox; 1 edition (2 Jan. 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0471762938
- ISBN-13: 978-0471762935
- Product Dimensions: 18.8 x 2.8 x 23.4 cm
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
2,446,395 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #260 in Books > Computers & Internet > Hardware > Handheld Computers
- #862 in Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering > Telephone & Wireless Technology
- #2554 in Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering > Telecommunications
- See Complete Table of Contents
Professional Microsoft Smartphone Programming Paperback – 2 Jan 2007
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
"Professor Yang and Dr. Zheng are two of the passionate young researchers in the field with a lot of hands–on experience. Professor Ni, on the other hand, is a veteran in wireless technologies, 2.5G/3G cellular phones, and embedded systems. The energy, the hands–on experience, and the long–term vision ensure that the book is of highest quality."
From the foreword by Ya–Qin Zhang, Corporate Vice President for Research, Microsoft China
The second–generation Smartphone applications are exclusively designed to leverage the advantages of mobility and ubiquitous wireless access. This book provides you with an in–depth look at software development issues and design guidelines, and helps you gain the skills you need to develop your own efficient and feature–rich Smartphone applications that utilize the latest cutting–edge technologies.
Complete with code and examples, the book first walks you through the Microsoft Smartphone platform from a software developer′s perspective. It next uncovers the .NET Compact Framework as well as the Smartphone programming environment. You′ll then find detailed information on Microsoft Smartphone–related application design and programming topics in the domains of the .NET Compact Framework (managed code). Plus, you′ll explore advanced development topics such as security and performance considerations that you′ll be able to incorporate into your own applications.
What you will learn from this book
- How to use the programming framework and classes available in Windows Mobile and Smartphone SDK
- The fundamentals of .NET Compact Framework 2.0
- Techniques for developing your own robust Smartphone applications
- Steps for customizing components and P/Invoke
- How to enhance data and communication security
- Ways to improve the performance of your applications
- Fundamental techniques for supporting world–ready applications
Who this book is for
This book is for software architects and developers working in the area of mobile application development as well as professionals who want a quick and thorough overview of the Microsoft Smartphone software development platform.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet the real–world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.
About the Author
Baijian Yang is an assistant professor in the Computer Technology program at Ball State University. He became a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) in 1998 and was one of the core software designers/developers for etang.com. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Michigan State University in 2002. He is now engaged in research and development in the area of wireless networks and distributed systems.
Pei Zheng received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Michigan State University in 2003. He joined Microsoft as a software engineer in 2005. Before that he was an assistant professor of Computer Science at Arcadia University, and a member of the technical staff at Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies. His research interests include distributed systems, network simulation and emulation, and mobile computing.
Lionel M. Ni is Chair Professor, Head of the Computer Science and Engineering Department, and Director of the Digital Life Research Center at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. Dr. Ni earned his Ph.D. in electrical and computer engineering from Purdue University in 1980. He has been involved in many projects related to wireless technologies, 2.5G/3G cellular phones, and embedded systems. He is co–author of the book Interconnection Networks: An Engineering Approach (Morgan Kaufmann, 2002), and Smart Phone and Next Generation Mobile Computing (Morgan Kaufmann, 2006).
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
The authors (or editor) took the "say what you are going to say, say it, and than say what you just said" principle to new extremes. Every chapter, section and some paragraphs apply this principle so often that it got me completely aggravated.
Did I mention the ubiquitous usage of Visual Studio screenshots? Even to the point where there are full page screenshots to show the reader how to change a property? Contentwise this book should have been a third of its current size.
Talking about a content, this book resembles a collection of unrelated research papers, course material and some of the wall writing thrown together to get a book out the door. I know these are often the source of good books, but for the reader's sake, the editor and Wrox could have done a better job of at least making this look like a coherent write up.
I was really looking forward when this book got announced. I expect more from Wrox, that's why I am highly disappointed...
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle > Online Shopping > Amazon
- Books > Computing & Internet > Hardware > Handheld Computers
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electrical > Electrical Engineering
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering > Telecommunications
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering > Telephone & Wireless Technology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering