Pro SQL Server 2012 Extended Events gives you the edge in diagnosing and troubleshooting performance and other problems by providing visibility into the database engine and what it is doing, and where processing and elapsed time is being consumed. Support for extended events came in SQL Server 2008 Release 2, and is enhanced in SQL Server 2012. It is safe to say that the extended events framework is now possibly the single most important diagnostic tool that a database administrator can wield.
The event-handling system provides a generalized approach to tracking the details of execution of the SQL Server engine, and also sometimes related applications and even the Windows operating system. By analyzing extended event traces, you can know with certainty how SQL Server might, for example, be executing a problem query. You can know on what operations time is being lost, and you can see clearly where and how I/O is being consumed. You can also spot blocking activity, such as might occur when another session access the same data in a conflicting manner.
Pro SQL Server 2012 Extended Events is your guide to deciphering, configuring, and scaling the extended events architecture from within SQL Server 2012. Author and Microsoft SQL Server MVP Jason Strate takes you through using extended events in your environment. Youll learn to view events live as they occur using the Live Viewer. Youll learn to trace query performance for later analysis. Attention is given to monitoring, to troubleshooting, and even to auditing. Yes, extended events apply to security as well. MVP Jason Strate delivers a comprehensive strategy for tuning, monitoring, and helping to secure a SQL Server 2012 environment.
Extended events can reveal much about the performance of your database. They are invaluable in performance tuning and troubleshooting. Pro SQL Server 2012 Extended Events provides all you need to step out and take full advantage of this powerful new framework for debugging, monitoring, troubleshooting, and securing your database environment.
- Covers the latest enhancements to extended events in SQL Server 2012.
- Provides all you need to wield one of the most useful diagnostic tools for DBAs.
- Shows extended events in the big picture, including SQL Server, PowerShell, Analysis Services, and Windows Azure SQL Database.
What youll learn
- Trace query performance and know with certainty where a problem query is spending time, and on what operations.
- Monitor resource usage in your database and head off performance bottlenecks before they occur.
- View events in real time, as they occur, using the Live Viewer.
- Extend extended events to related tools that a DBA might use, such as PowerShell and Analysis Services.
- Monitor and troubleshoot in the cloud with extended events in Windows Azure SQL Database
- Apply extended events to security as part of your auditing solution.
Who this book is for
Pro SQL Server 2012 Extended Events is for database administrators and developers responsible for troubleshooting, diagnosing, and solving tough database problems such as performance failures and resource conflicts. The book is also useful for anyone wanting to discover and gain in-depth knowledge of SQL Server internals and operation.