Private: (Private 1)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 October 2014
There are as many clichés in this book as there are plot holes. Apparently really sophisticated crimes that took years to plan and execute get solved in a few days by a couple of guys having a few chats, threatening with fisticuffs and occasionally paying attention to forensics. Nothing run of the mill here either – a fraud case involving millions of dollars, a serial killer on the loose, the main character an incredibly handsome war hero who has incredibly beautiful women quite literally dying of love for him….see what I mean? If you are after something that will actually engage your brain and a plot that does not appear to be churned up in a weekend to generate more money for the author, try something else.
8 people found this helpful
on 1 March 2013
Book Review: Private by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro 3/5

I have mixed feelings about this book. I'm a James Patterson fan as his books are usually fast paced and I struggle to put them down. This one didn't grab me quite as much. Jack is an ex army guy who still struggles with memories of the war. His dad is in prison but leaves Jack money to continue with his Private investigation agency. They have the best staff and equipment and work for high profile people who trust them to keep their business quiet.

It is a good idea for a book; the problem is that they deal with so many cases all at once. School girls are being murdered, this should have been enough for the plot, but Jack's evil brother also comes into it generally making things difficult for Jack. They also deal with a case for his uncle where referees are fixing football matches (to be honest I had no interest in this particular plot line whatsoever) and a murder case where the wife of Jack's best friend is murdered and his friend is in the frame. Each time one of the cases became interesting the chapter ended and we were with other investigators dealing with one of the other cases. There were so many characters and plot lines I kept stopping to think `who's he? Which case is this one?'

By the end I had warmed up to the book but it still wasn't as exciting as other James Patterson books I have read, the tension didn't really up very much towards the end and there was just too much pushed into the book and not enough depth with any of the cases.

Yes, I will read the next one as it is worth a second look; I just hope it is better than the first.

Gail Jones
author of Family Secrets
3 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2014
Great introduction to the PRIVATE series. It's all going on, Jack Morgan an x vet with PTSD following a life changing event whilst on tour in Afghanistan. He has set up a Private Investigation agency dealing in high profile cases involving the rich and famous. He leads a blessed life in one regard but tortured in another. Patterson makes his characters so believable you can't help but cheer them on from the sides, you love who they love ,hate who they hate, fear for them cry with them but most of all identify with them. Jack is the best of the best and he surrounds himself with like minded skilled people. Patterson always manages to juggle several stories at the one time and interconnect them all like a spiders web. Read this book in a day. Could not put it down. Go on give this one a try tou will not be disappointed.
on 1 June 2016
I usually enjoy this style of book and was tempted by the £1.99 kindle price tag along with the high review marking on this site. Average reviews 4.5 stars - you must be kidding! Plot - Guy given $15m by his dad to run an PI agency, turns up in his Lamborghini for jobs, dates the rich and famous, agency has so much resources that the police use it all the time, then multiple investigations occurring at the same time handled by his top of the line fantastic employees. Groan - give me strength. What a load of tosh! Don't waste your time like I did.
on 30 May 2016
Like most other books he does, this one is another good read. Easy going, fast paced and entertaining. I do think the story wrapped up a little bit too quickly though with little satisfaction, but maybe that isn't that bad as it avoids the usual one last terrifying act scenario.

I will definitely continue the series. Anyone interested will find a fun, easy read.
on 7 June 2016
This came quite well recommended but didn't quite hit the right note for me. There were too many characters and too many unrelated story lines distracting from the main theme. I know this is the first of a series so presumably successful but I'm unsure if I'll read any further. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book but I've read better.
on 4 October 2015
I don't read fiction and I haven't since Harry Potter left Hogwarts. I stick to business, development etc so this was a refreshing change and may have started an obsession with James Patterson's writing.
The characters were well developed and pretty easy to keep track of... (Except for Cruz, if he hadn't popped up at the end again he may as well have not been involved) Their own individual stories help make this an additive read, you don't just want to find out how the cases are solved but also what happens to the people solving them.
The story wasn't gruesome but at the same time didn't miss a detail. I enjoyed it from start to finish and will be completing the series.
on 5 June 2012
This is the first of the private books I have read. I only wanted something that was an easy read read and it fit the bill. Unlike some I didn't find the different plots and characters confusing just different to the usual James Patterson books which focus on one main plot and am planning on buying the next private book which seems to have better reviews than this one. Maybe not an indepth thriller that I first put to James Patterson books - especially the Alex Cross series but enjoyable enough if you are looking for an easy read
on 26 December 2016
Loved this. Storylines kept me hooked and turning pages which is what it's all about. Give it a read, you won't regret it
One person found this helpful
on 2 November 2014
This is typical James Patterson, pacy but involved. It was unfortunate that I had read it before in hardback form which I did not realise til I had bought the Kindle version and started reading. I have not read the sequel, however, so look forward to Private 2 . Having said “typical” I mean,in this genre of course, never really know what is coming next.