on 7 December 2017
At first I was so pleased to download this onto my Kindle for free as it is my favourite book and I've read it hundreds of times -- but unfortunately whoever translated this version to the Amazon Classics Edition did not take care to make sure it was the original text.

For example, Bingley declaring that he doesn't know "a more awful object than Darcy" (in the man's presence!!!) when it should have been "a more aweful object" (a completely different meaning to "awful"), and Mrs Bennet and Kitty mentioning "Pulvis Lodge" rather than "Purvis Lodge". These are just two examples I could think of off the top of my head -- but there were a few other instances where I thought "hold on, I'm pretty sure the original doesn't quite say that." It ruined it for me.

You are better off spending your money on an actual faithful reproduction of the original text, rather than a version which didn't even take the necessary care required to transcribe a famous classic accurately. Perhaps there is a free e-book version of this book that is an accurate version, but if so, this is not it.
12 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 September 2014
'Pride and Prejudice' was published in 1813 and describes how its heroine, Elizabeth Bennet, copes with life among the landed gentry in the early nineteenth century. It is a delicate, wise and sometimes richly humorous novel about how to cope with polite society and its rules. Elizabeth is one of five sisters, the daughters of a moderately well-off country gentleman; his estate is entailed to the nearest male relative and the girls will have a very modest inheritance, so it is imperative that they marry well. To find a suitable husband, they must be accomplished, beautiful and well-mannered and the book deals with issues of manners, upbringing and educations, as well as morality.
This is such a well-known story and has been made into films and television series so many times that you'd think that reading it would be a yawn. On the contrary, it is subtle and charming and wise and thoroughly enjoyable, in my opinion Jane Austen's greatest novel. How much I'd have missed if I had simply watched this on tv! One really understands why Elizabeth and Jane's embarrassing relatives - their parents and siblings, were such a drawback to making a good marriage, as well as why their father's conduct was a reprehensible as their foolish mother's. What I loved was the realism - the explicit way in which women recognised that their only route to a secure and comfortable life was to marry the right man, and that actually falling in love was an optional extra. Elizabeth's plain friend, Charlotte, trades herself off to a foolish man whom she does not love in order to have a home and family and her painful predicament is completely understandable. Elizabeth is determined not to marry without love. Will she succeed? She learns many lessons in her journey to happiness, as does Darcy, and this is what gives the plot its movement forward. A lovely book!
9 people found this helpful
on 13 January 2015
The adaptor had three hours to get the story in. THREE HOURS! I have heard two hour radio adaptations produced by American theatre companies make a better fist of this (in less than two, actually). I was so disappointed, having the missed the first BBC episode when it aired on radio and had to wait ages for the cd issue. I have no problem with the performances. Mr Darcy has a particularly sexy voice! Elizabeth is spot on. And Amanda Root, an old favourite, is a welcome addition as the narrator. She does it so well. Mrs Bennett, too, is a delight.

But to play hard and fast with the material, add dialogue bearing no resemblance to the original, and omit key speeches (I utterly concur with Angela Lovelace's comments on the muffed proposal speech - bravo Angela), when the source material is so superlative, is nothing short of a sacrilege. I know Hollywood took liberties with the plot in the old 40's film adaptation. You could get away with it then. I could even forgive the liberties taken, if the BBC had had less time to adapt the novel. But they had THREE HOURS! They could have got pretty much the entire novel in. Instead, we get filler.

Never been so disappointed in all my life. I would suggest Austen fans seek out the American Radio Adaptations of P&P. Shorter, but superior (available on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com, if you're wondering. They are performed live and are a lot of fun. Miriam Margoles doubles as Mrs Bennett and Lady Catherine and has me in stitches. IBSN 978-1580813594. There is another U.S. version available, but harder to track down).

Also the BBC Radio Adaptations of Mansfield Park - both relatively recent - are worth checking out. They prove the job can be done perfectly well if the source material is given the respect it deserves.
6 people found this helpful
on 13 September 2015
Classic novel Pride and Prejudice tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, and her struggle for matrimony in the 19th century north of England. This being the first classic I completed, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Firstly, I have to admit, Austen's writing style and narrative of events has a really nice tone, and offers a broad perspective. Because said narrator is impartial to the transpiring events, one can experience the book broadly, and develop personal opinions of each character, which I really enjoy doing. Furthermore, having a narrator like this makes it so that one can feel as though they are watching the story through a present - but quiet and impartial - character's mind's eye, which really helps to bring the story to life.

Next, I wasn't expecting I would say this, yet I am: Jane Austen is really funny. Frankly, I didn't expect to get the jokes interjected into this book, for they are from a differing era to my own, yet I found myself laughing along with some of the witty comments inserted into the story.

However, I would say there are too many sub-plots. Granted, they all tie together at the end, yet I would have preferred it if the book focussed plainly on Elizabeth rather than Elizabeth and every one she's ever known. I found myself wishing the book would circle back around to Elizabeth and Darcy, but sometimes there were some rather big gaps away from the main plot line, which bored me quite a bit.

In comparison, I did really like the characters. Elizabeth is really nice to read about, for she is unlike all of her friends and sisters, and decides it is not a man she needs to live. Also, she likes reading, so what really is there to dislike?

Likewise, Darcy is really fun to read about. I love it when a character is so universally hated, only for the truth to dub them all wrong for prejudicing said character in such a way. This is exactly how it worked for Darcy, and I really loved it. Also, the switch between good/bad Darcy is really sudden, yet really natural, further accentuating the poor lighting the characters and the reader have seen Darcy's personality in, perceiving him not as the man he is, but instead the man he appears to be. In turn, this also offers a good message - do not prejudice! You could be prematurely judging the love of your life!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, but did - unfortunately - feel as though the pacing was rather slow. There were moments when I found myself feeling rather bored, for the pace had hardly furthered, yet, granted, there were moments n whcih I was fully enticed by the novel. Thus, I awarded it 4/5 stars.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 April 2018
First time reading Jane Austen (I know where have I been right?) and I wanted to see what all the Pride and Prejudice hype was about. In particular the love for Mr Darcy.

I’ll be honest, during the first half of the book I really couldn’t see what people were so crazy about. I mean he’s a complete ass! But after The Letter (no my grammar isn’t off, if you’ve read it you know which letter I’m taking about!) I could completely see why so many people love him. I loved that he was so completely enamoured with Elizabeth that no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t keep his eyes off her. I think she hit the nail on the head when she said she thought he fell for her because she wasn’t falling all over him like so many other girls. She barely even liked him for most of the book!

Elizabeth Bennet is the number one thing I loved about this book. I loved her feisty, witty personality and that she wasn’t prepared to settle for just any man who wanted to marry her. She was also prepared to speak up and defend herself and those she loved even when class dictated she should stay quiet.

The writing was good, although I always find with the classics some of the language is a challenge to get your head around (or it is for me anyway!).
I liked that although there is clear gender and class differences, Austen challenged those without veering too far from the story and what would have been possible at the time.

Some of the supporting characters were great. Jane and Mr Bennet for example. I went back and forth with both these two as there were things I liked and things I didn’t. I liked that Jane was so positive and that she was always looking for the best in people but that same trait made her annoying and naive at times. Mr Bennet was funny and I loved that he could poke fun at Mrs Bennet but I didn’t like his apathetic attitude when he needed to be stronger. I liked Mary, she really didn’t care what anyone thought or wanted from her, she was just happy doing her own thing!

On the other hand I really disliked some of the characters (which is fine as I think we are supposed to dislike them). Characters like Mr Collins (what a jumped up little weasel he is) or Mrs Bennet (clearly only cared about appearances and money) or Wickham and Lydia (don’t even get me started on those two!!).

Overall it was a great read, particularly the second half of the book, and I’ll definitely be reading more classics after this.
on 12 July 2016
...Oh what a character. Initially you despise him - his arrogance, pride and vanity (this is what we perceive of him through the eyes of Elizabeth Bennet in their initial introductions). But slowly, oh so slowly, you begin to fall in love with a man who in fact holds no vanity and is only proud in the utmost honourable respect. Prejudice is certainly the word to first describe Elizabeth's feelings towards Darcy but we soon see this diminish and the pride of both sides which held a defensive wall up for both, slowly crumble. Like millions of others have been since this book was published 2 centuries ago I think I have a new found love for a certain Mr Darcy!

This book perfectly describes a dominating gentry society where marriage was but a means of securing fortune and for women especially a form of stability when wealth could not be passed from father to daughter. Looking at characters individually I must say the eldest of the five Bennet daughters, Jan, pretty much annoyed me throughout the whole book. There is nothing wrong with only seeing the good in people but to be so out of touch with reality and be completely ignorant of all crimes a person commits is utter stupidity. Each daughter represents different flaws that human nature consists of.

Definitely recommend this book - not a huge fan of the movie casts so best to stick to the book so you can pick your own cast!
One person found this helpful
on 6 April 2018
I didn't expect to enjoy this nearly as much as I did. I now understand why Austen is so infamous. Her writing is witty, clever and beautiful. As a reader to whom classics were foreign, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it in two days. This far outstripped my expectations and has encouraged me to read more classical literature. I expected this to be boring and the pacing wanting, but the fact that it kept me up past midnight proves otherwise. Yes, you will undoubtedly require a dictionary to understand this novel, but that should not be reason enough to deter you! The characters in particular make this book worthwhile. They are so entertaining; Mr Collins and Mr Bennett especially. I loved it!
on 20 February 2014
It did not say on its Amazon entry that this was an abridged version. I, perhaps, should have known from the price, but there was nothing anywhere to say it was abridged. On first listen the first few minutes were unintelligible due to a very loud noise on the background of the recording. I returned this product for a replacement. The same problem was evident in the first few minutes and, it turned out, also on the last few minutes. So, not only a faulty product, a faulty batch and also misrepresented in its description. This was poor, Amazon.
14 people found this helpful
on 18 January 2018
I'm a big fan of the film with Keira Knightly and after watching it so many times wanted to read the book. Of course I'm reading it picturing the film as I progress through the written word. It's a delightful read and it makes you wonder what the author would think of our mixed up world today of unmarried mothers, men who go on to father numerous children, lack of respect of mankind! I know that it is written with the upper class in mind and if the character's were of the much lower classes a different lifestyle would be be revealed... I'm sure you'll agree that some things should be left in the past for many reasons but I can't help but think it was a nicer world, a pleasant and more simple place to be.... respect is the answer...
on 17 September 2016
The general storyline is well-known due to the many filmed versions: Mr Bennet is well-meaning and intelligent, and has a sense of humour, but is basically lazy. His wife is materialistic and cares only what other people think; she has no original ideas of her own.

They have produced five daughters who are all quite different in character. Into the neighbourhood come Mr Bingley, owner of a large estate, and his rude friend Mr Darcy....

Austen had quite a gift of portraying personalities and there’s a great deal of satire as well as character observations that are (I hope) caricatured, but nonetheless recognisable. The plot is that of a romantic novel, with misunderstandings along the way. It’s quite long-winded, typical of 19th century writings, and inevitably dated.

Nevertheless, much of what's said and thought seems quite modern, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to re-read it on my Kindle after many years. Overall I liked it very much; there’s a great deal more in the book than in any film version, and I had quite forgotten what an enjoyable read this is, if one takes the time to take it all in.

Four and a half stars, really!