on 8 June 2017
All the Pretty Girls is the first book in the Taylor Jackson series written by J.T. Ellison. It follows Jackson as she investigates two cases; The Souther Strangler and the Rainman. The Southern Strangler is a serial killer that abducts brunettes in one state and disposes of their body along with a hand from a previous victim in another state making the case federal. The Rainman is a serial rapist that only attacks when it rains and has made the previous lead investigator to his case his latest victim hence Jackson's involvement in the case. You would think what with the two individual cases that it would be easy for Ellison to make minute errors that cause the cases to intermingle and become hard to follow. This, however, is not the case. Ellison makes the cases airtight so that there is no confusion or intermingling. You know which case is taking up Jackson's time at the part you are reading and can follow on from what has happened previously without the fear of information overload.

I am a huge fan of crime novels but an even bigger fan when the protagonist is a female detective with a tough as nails persona and does Ellison deliver this with Taylor Jackson. She's the lieutenant of the homicide division, she has a close rapport and is respected by the detective's that work under her command, she has close friendships that she maintains and has a hot FBI boyfriend to boot! Despite all these positive characteristic traits, Ellison still manages to make Jackson a believable three dimensional character through the flaws and vulnerabilities shared throughout the novel. I personally cannot wait to see how Jackson progresses as a character throughout the series.

With two addictive cases that deliver twists at every turn, All the Pretty Girls can definitely be defined as an addictive page turner that leaves you speechless when the conclusion is shared with you – a conclusion I did not work out myself which I normally find myself doing!
on 29 September 2016
All The Pretty Girls is a well put together police procedural that maintains a keen interest from the beginning.

The book opens right in the action as we join a serial killer enjoying a moment of murder. It’s great to get into the mind of the perpetrator straight away and the sinister mood haunts the rest of the tale as the book progresses.

Taylor Jackson is charged with leading the police investigation. There’s a sense of building urgency to her work as the killer becomes increasingly active. The banter between officers works really well and keeps up the momentum of the story, as does the involvement of Jackson’s secret partner, FBI profiler John Baldwin when he is brought in to unpick the case.

As well as the police investigation, an ambitious TV reporter has been selected by the killer as a point of contact. Though she’s unsure why she’s been chosen, she begins to see it as a lead that might take her from local success to national star. It’s a lead that she can’t resist. As she is drawn further into the killer’s world and begins to put things together, she begins to see that the situation is closer to home than she could ever have imagined and she is forced into a position that none could envy.

The killer continues to make appearances throughout and I enjoyed these insights into his world. His mind is twisted and his methodology is to take the hand of one victim and leave it with the body of the next. These moments offer a contrasting darkness to the energy of the other strands of the plot.

As things approach their conclusion, the action comes thick and fast. There are pleasing twists and turns all off which lead to a satisfying conclusion.

I enjoyed my read. The pacing and the strands are handled with skill. Things do rely on a number of coincidences and unlikely connections, but the key elements are enough to brush these issues firmly to the side. This one was perfect for summer holiday distraction and will lead me to more of the author’s work and to more Taylor Jackson in the future.
on 10 December 2015
Well !! This is a series I'm late coming to (this was written in 2007) but one I'll definitely stick with. I really enjoyed it. I like there were more crimes occurring than the main one running through the whole story and therefore it held my interest throughout as we got to meet a whole host of differing police personnel and criminals !!! I changed my mind throughout as to who was the guilty party in the main crime featured ! I had three differing ptotagonists on the go....
I like Taylor a great deal. She is a good person and great at her job whilst also not alienating any of the guys working for her. That would take some doing in the real world, I'm sure. Her FBI lover is another great character. I even enjoyed Grimes' straight talking to people obstructing him in his work !!
I did spot a couple of needless hyphens thrown in and the odd misplaced apostrophe and mute was used where I think moot was meant.....that was it which is pretty good going too.
Certainly one to recommend for all you murder 'n' mayhem fans out there.
on 17 April 2014
I do like a well written book that flows, with no annoying typos . This was written by a professional author as one page lead to another without you wondering what you had just read. Everything made sense and the story was quite twisty with a nasty serial killer ( although the story centres around the police trying to catch him more than his crimes). I cringe a bit when the lead male is rugged, big shouldered and has flashing eyes and the female knows how to swing her hips and is drop dead gorgeous but brave and brainy but I actually liked the characters themselves so was happy to read about them. I have read another of this authors books with the same characters in and I enjoyed that one too. All in all a good well written story. Not enough gore in it for my personal taste but once in a while it's good to read something less violent to make a change. Would definitely recommend this.
on 9 June 2013
The first impression I got of this book was that it could have been written by D Baldicci except his works usually have a male lead character. But in this case the lead was a female. I chose this story because the name was new to me and from the excerpt it had promise, which certainly proved to be the case. It was fairly apparent that the Rainman and the Strangled were two different people but the motive of the Strangler was obvious nor was his identity. His connected with the hospital's became common knowledge. I was not convinced of the obvious and felt early on that a third person was involved, as it turned out to be so in the end.

ls became ..
on 5 September 2014
I was recommended this book for my holiday read, when I first started reading I thought it was much a much, a hint of other thrillers, written by some of my favourite female authors, a touch of Tess Gerritsen Rizzoli & Isles characters as Taylor the detective and her best friend the medical examiner and then her relationship with an FBI profiler a hint of Gabriel Dean or Andrew Ryan in Kathy Reichs' books, I thought will this be any different. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, once I got passed the similarities between the characters I really enjoyed the storyline, as it unfolded, a few red herrings along the way. I will be looking at the other books within the series. To make the character Taylor stand out a little more, I would like to see her communicate as a southerner to make her standout rather than a non geographical female that could be from anywhere. If that make sense. Having said that I do recommend this book.
on 30 May 2014
Was an okay story but it didn't really excite me. I am not a lover of books peppered with romance and I thought there was too much of this in the book. It moved along at an even pace rather than racy and was a reasonably enjoyable bed time read. May try another but I have better to read at the moment!
on 10 March 2014
Tale of the hunt for a serial killer in the Southern USA by a police woman and her FBI boyfriend. The main characters are a little more interesting than the usual two dimensional offerings you get in many novels of this kind and there is the story of the developing relationship between Lieutenant Taylor Jackson and the FBI profiler with whom she is working. The plot moves along at a good pace but is a little creaky in places where one is asked to believe that in this day and age some key characters cannot be contacted or receive news for days at a time. Since the advent of mobile phones, texting and the internet one has to do a little better than this but enjoyable and not too taxing.
on 12 May 2014
This was my first book from this author and it did not disappoint, as I enjoyed the well written and interesting plot. The book actually even improves as you near the end, although the culprit was not too difficult to figure out. A serial killer with a strange motive, I did appreciate all the explanations given near the end. Will definitely read more of this lady's books. Thumbs up from me.
on 28 July 2014
Amongst the things that let this book down, the worst offender was was the characters. Taylor herself is tall, beautiful, sexy, righteous and tough and 'adored' by her man, an FBI agent. The characters are boring and lack believability - so cliched it's painful. I reached the end of the book but barely. The sequence of events is boring, one thing followed by another - there is no depth to the story or plot. I won't be reading anymore by this author.