on 28 November 2015
Horrific, disgusting, violent, gory, and if you are someone who has overstimulated senses like me, you will smell and taste everything. This is likely to make you physically retch.

Love it!!!

I received a story called 'Before the Realm' as part of a Welcome Pack from the author's website. Reading that story first gives the reader a smoother entry into this book. So join up now!

I have come to J Thorn on the strength of his co-author status of 'Risen Gods' with JF Penn. Mr Thorn, you have a new fan!
on 24 November 2015
IT IS FAIR to say that PRETA'S REALM, by J. Thorn, starts out slowly. But stick with it, keep the faith, show your loyalty, do whatever you have to do, but make sure you read this excellent horror novel. Your patience will be rewarded at least twenty fold with a very strong and entertaining second half that is full of gore, violence, scares and (somewhat disappointingly) a promised exorcism that (it must be said) fails to eventuate. But the book still possesses a great ending that guarantees you will read the rest of the series, as well as tempting the reader to become long term fans of this author virtually straightaway.

The book starts out as a violent crime novel. An everyday office in everyday America features everyday lives, everyday modern language and everyday temptations of the flesh. Some characters wilt under the pressure of these temptations, some characters stand tall. Time passes and the murders commence. A series of emails are sent to one person in particular that hint at elements of the bizarre, as well as the supernatural, as well as forming part of the evidence chain for the fore mentioned ’Events of Temptation’. As i have already said, however, it takes until the book reaches it’s second half for the reader to realise what is going on (unless it was just me - my eyes have been known to take a while to adjust to the writing style of new authors...) and when it does, the penny drops quicker than a fist-sized lump of mercury dropped into your backyard swimming pool.

It must be said, however, that PRETA’S REALM is violent. The language is strong, too (that is, modern) so if you have a sensitive stomach, or sensitive ears, you may want to pass this book by. But modern day horror fans would not be modern day horror fans if they can’t deal with these issues, so maybe that criticism is moot.

The book is the opening salvo to a series, and interestingly, it does not end on a cliff hanger. Obviously, book two follows straight on, and having read the end to book one, I can’t think of anything more ridiculous than *not* going onto book two immediately. Which is what I will be doing as soon as I post this review.

In summary, then, PRETA’S REALM is a hugely entertaining story of demonic possession that won’t take you very long to read, and despite the relatively high ’learning curve’, you will find yourself salivating in enthusiasm to keep the story going even when you reach the end. I know I am.

Bye for now!!!
on 3 October 2014
It's not often I find a book that makes me research the content, but this is one such novel. It's one of the finest books I've read for a long time. An interesting and intelligent concept that keeps you turning the pages. I'll definitely be reading more by J. Thorn
on 21 May 2012
I'll be honest, initially I struggled to get into this book. I had been offered the book by the author in exchange for an honest review, so having copied it onto my kindle, I sat myself down and prepared for a good read, having no real idea what it was about. As already mentioned, it was not a book that grabbed my attention straight away, but having promised I would review this, I persevered, and I am very glad I did. Preta's Realm is initially slow paced, but then gradually grabs you by the throat and does not let go. Incredibly graphic it had me screwing my face up in horror at many of the scenes, yet eagerly clicking for the next page just to see what would happen next. Not for the feint hearted, J Thorn knows exactly how to grip the reader and keep them holding on for the inevitable horrific finale, and I found myself, at random moments during the day, thinking about a scene I had read and looking forward to the moment I could get back to the story to read more. That, in my opinion, is always a sign of a good, well thought out story. I had not read anything by Mr Thorn before this, but will definitely read more of his work. 5 Stars.
on 8 October 2013
It was okay, I think some of the reviews were a bit far fetched as I didnt enjoy it as much as I thought
on 21 March 2015
Very disjointed, improved in parts but overall a waste of time. Would not recommend as I feel I am missing large parts of the story
on 2 February 2015
Great read. Very twisted but different take on the demon theme. Looking forward to reading the next one.
on 1 February 2015
good story i need good storys to keep me awake at work at night
on 21 November 2014
Good read gruesome story took me a while to get into it.
on 23 July 2015