- Paperback: 300 pages
- Publisher: Praxis; 2010 edition (13 April 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1441913491
- ISBN-13: 978-1441913494
- Product Dimensions: 17 x 1.8 x 24.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 729,362 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Prepare For Launch: The Astronaut Training Process (Springer Praxis Books / Space Exploration) Paperback – 13 Apr 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the reviews:“In Prepare for Launch you can read a detailed and thorough account written by someone who tried very hard to change his astronaut dream into a reality. Seedhouse’s book contains the nuts and bolts of astronaut training in North America and Europe. … He leads us step by step through the protracted process of becoming an astronaut. … Seedhouse has written an intriguing account of the training process, and his book is a joy to read.” (Carole Stott, The Observatory, Vol. 131 (1221), April, 2011)
From the Back Cover
To be an astronaut is the dream of thousands of young - and not so young - people. But is the life as glamorous as we think it is? First, each applicant must navigate a protracted application and selection process, submit to lengthy medicals, take dozens of aptitude tests, and face an interview panel. If successful, the wannabe spacefarer is then subjected to a guantlet of instruction. From being strapped into centrifuges to experiencing microgravity onboard NASA's aptly named 'vomit comet,' the astronaut candidate's (Ascan) trainging is as relentless as it is arduous. In addtion to covering more than two hundred classroom subjects, as Ascan will complete over fifteen hundred hours of instruction, including training in high-performance jets, sea survival, emergency evacuation preparation, and surgery in microgravity. Prepare for Launch provides a unique insight into the astronaut application, selection, and training process. It chronicles the intense, highly technical and sophisticated training necessary to forge a flight crew capable of responding to any conceivable emergency and capable of expertly executing hundreds of mission tasks. This book uniquely explores the preparation required to apply and train for the most challenging and demanding job in the world.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
They need the knowledge for at least three degrees. This training is tough. I know several guys who applied and were not accepted.
It was their eyesight. They were so disappointed.
This training has a good reason: the more you know, the safer you are. I worked on Apollo and compared to this, our Astronauts did not have much training because there were so many things we didn't know. Our Apollo Astronauts really paved the way.
I applaud this book. Not only is it interesting, it has great information.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Reference > Transport > Aviation
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Aeronautics & Aerospace > Aerospace & Aviation Technology
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Aeronautics & Aerospace > Astronautics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Applied Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics