TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 March 2017
This book’s interesting because it’s different to most other marketing books that are out there. That’s because, really, this book isn’t a marketing book. It’s more like a motivational book, one that makes you look at things in a new light. Trott teaches you how to think, and it really is a mindset rather than anything else. But it works.

The book takes the form of a number of different short essays that include a little bit of knowledge that people can learn from. But Trott doesn’t preach – he lets the stories speak for themselves, and he invites the reader to participate by drawing their own conclusions. That’s good, because it helps you to learn, and that learning is enhanced by the way that it’s written. It almost feels like a poetry collection, and it certainly has that kind of vibe. It makes it stand out, and standing out is good.

I’m still a little skeptical when it comes to books like this because while I work in marketing, I also hate marketers. I think it’s the nature of the job. But Trott seems to share my point of view, and it’s refreshing to read a book that changes the way you think about things. Whether or not I’m able to take any of the lessons from the book and apply them to my own career…well, that remains to be seen. Overall, if we’re talking about inspirational reads, you can’t do much better than this.
on 24 August 2016
David Trott is a highly successful advertiser, and this book represents the wisdom he has distilled from many years in the advertising industry. Though that is the focus and also the source of many of the examples, this book is a widely useful collection of novel ideas, innovative thinking and practical creativity. The chapters are brief, and written more or less in bullet-point style, as they originally appeared on his blog. But as a collection, it works really well. I enjoyed reading it recently on holiday, and am already dipping back into it to refresh the insights and work out how his ideas can be extended to my situation. Altogether a really marvellous book.
on 7 December 2014
I can't bear those people who tell us the older generation of advertising copywriters and art directors can't teach us anything.
The message from Trott (second wave) is the same as the message from Ogilvy (first wave). When you stop being a student of advertising it's time to quit. If you think you're too good for this book, you're not. If you think you might learn from it, you are good and you will get even better.
on 17 June 2013
Dave Trott makes his points through anecdotes of his life in the creative industries. The book is written in short sections and is something worth dipping into again and again. I found myself nodding my head in agreement with his analysis and observations of people and situations. And in places I laughed out loud. I have no reservations about recommending this book to anyone in the creative industries or anyone who manages people in a workplace.
And like his previous Creative Mischief, I will be buying more copies to pass onto friends and coworkers whom I know will appreciate all he has to offer.
on 18 September 2015
Dave Trott’s Predatory thinking is an elegantly written book filled with examples relating to advertising, creativity and business. He connects real life stories to complex ideas that we may encounter in our lives, each chapter providing a nugget of advice for the reader. His witty and concise style means the book is easy to read, engaging the reader from the outset.

Read what I learnt on my blog.

on 15 July 2013
I like the author's writing style. He uses a lot of metaphor, but not in wooly way. He uses short sentences, short paragraphs, his thoughts rattle off the pages.

I like the content - his opinions on marketing and advertising - too. I don't work in those areas but I'm enjoying reading his thoughts.
on 13 December 2013
I picked this out after a long review of some of the other marketing books available. I was after something to give me short snippets of inspiration...and this book does exactly that. I loved some of the stories and enjoyed the key points drawn out at the end. Some of the stories were a little flat, but still had some good takeaways which were self-drawn. The content is great (short and to the point) and the delivery complements this perfectly.

A great book to dip in and out of for a snippet of inspiration
on 13 August 2015
This little collection of stories is something I will dip into repeatedly to maintain my own creativity, refresh my vision for my work and generate new ideas

Bargain! Read it now!!
on 11 May 2015
I am not in the advertising industry but thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Full of great stories that make you think about your life, goals and work environment.
Thank you, the guy who I randomly chatted on the train journey to Birmingham and whose name I forgot to ask! It was a brilliant recommendation!
on 23 October 2015
This is a great book. Love the stories, their messages and the wisdom in there. Really fascinating reading.