Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 May 2001
Ennis must be one of the greatest comic writers in recent years. Some may view his style as rather vulgar with most of it receiving a "mature reader" status, such as this. Many people originally started to read Preacher because of that "for mature readers only" warning but soon found his portrayal of characters and epic story lines told in a down to earth way unique. With help of the amazingly talented Steve Dillion, the only artist capable of drawing so many facial expressions, made this one of, if not the, greatest titles of the 90's.
Onto the book in question.... Ennis does well to round up all the loose story lines in this book, through some critics do say that he has coped out on the search for God aspect but I don't believe that he has. The seven-part Alamo story is good, detailing Jesse's confrontation with Cass, and his final plans to take care of the grail once and for all. The final epilogue issue, is one of the best Ennis has written. Consisting mainly of letters from different characters to the others, and also explaining a few questions raised by the Alamo storyline. Also included is a one-shot about an encounter that Jesse and Tulip had back in there Grand Theft Auto days.
This is a great end to a great title; with Ennis moving to more mainstream titles (you should check out his 12 issue Punisher mini series) this could be one of his last more adult orientated titles. Lets just hope that his Preacher film finally gets out of development hell, and that Kevin Smith gets to direct.
As last stands go, Preacher: Alamo had a lot to live up to. Expectations were high, perhaps ridiculously so, and to be honest I didn't believe that the finished article could match the hype.
I was wrong.
Almost from the word "go", Ennis and Dillon rack up the tension to such a degree that by the time Jesse confronts Cassidy outside the Alamo I was on the edge of my seat, baying for blood.
The confrontation between the two friends is superb and undeniably a more exhilarating prospect than the long-gestating heavyweight bout between Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson.
Elsewhere, the shattered remnants of the Grail conspiracy, led by fabulous All-Father Starr, begin to move in on the Alamo, in a last ditch effort to kill Jesse.
On that subject, I thought I should add that Herr Starr is quite possibly the most disgustingly grotesque, yet undeniably hilarious villain I have ever witnessed. From his origins as a training camp instructor, Herr Starr's rise to power has been an event to savour. Cutting a fine line between the tragic and the grotesque, Starr has been beaten, shot, stabbed, raped, and castrated; yet he has never lost sight of the goal that drives him. Through amputation and sordid sexual activity, Starr has been transformed from a ruthless, calculating assassin to a manic, mass-murdering despot. With a head that looks like a big pecker.
Also, fans of Cassidy will be pleased to hear that the duplicitous vampire will make one last effort to make amends after screwing up so many people's lives. Needless to say, his "plan" does not exactly go off without a hitch, but I suppose that's precisely the point. With Cassidy it's all about the effort rather than the execution.
And for all those of you who didn't appreciate the revelations of Cassidy's sordid past, then his last gesture of decency will perhaps settle the nerves of all those readers who felt as betrayed as Reverend Jesse Custer.
This final chapter is great in a way I didn't think possible. The artwork is still top-notch, but then again you wouldn't expect anything less. The dialogue is sharp and witty, even though some phrases are a little too "British" for my liking.
But minor gripes aside, Preacher: Alamo is a great, great story that addressees the issue of dogmatic religion and forces us to question the values of a God who has been absent from our lives for the last two thousand years.
All-powerful and omnipotent as He is, nobody is infallible and Reverend Jesse Custer is about to prove that everybody is accountable for his or her mistakes, including God.
on 12 May 2001
Step right up, folks - this is the one we've either been waiting for or dreading. After this there will be no more Preacher books to look forward to.
Just think about that for a moment.
We've been through the ups and the downs. We've stood by Jessie's side when he had to face his Ma, we've had a drink with Cassidy, and we're all secret members of the Arse-face fanclub. So, if you've ever wondered whether or not Featherstone and Starr get together, or just what the Saint of Killers really wants from God, you need wait no longer. It's all here, but I won't spoil it for you.
After the lull of "Salvation" and "All Hell's A'Coming", it's wonderful to see this collection so vividly and dramatically concluded. This edition has all the tension of "How I Learned to Love the Lord" , the humour of "For all Mankind" and the tenderness of "Rumors of War" all rolled into one big package.
Lock the doors, take the phone off the hook, cancel the pay-per-view, and get ready for a hell of an evening. But just one bit of advice - don't read it too quickly. Make it last. It'll be a long time before you find a story that means this much to you again.
The only thing left is to say Thank You
And Goodbye, mate
on 8 May 2001
I approached the last volume in the epic Preacher saga with mixed feelings: Having waited over a year for it, I was anticipating the conclusion of the tale anxiously. How do you wrap up a story that contains characters ranging from irish vampires to the Creator himself?
On the other hand, I simply didn't want the story to end. Well, now it has ended, and Garth Ennis pulled off a finale that does the entire story arc justice (though I personally did expect more of a big bang ending...).
Read it!
on 2 November 2014
Love this series of comics, wont say much as I dont want to give any spoilers but it is a fantastic conclusion to an overall fantastic story!
on 4 March 2013
I loved the preacher series from the very first volume I picked up, and this is a great last hurrah for the series.
on 15 December 2012
Very happy with overall service , sure my son will be very pleased with it as it was on his Christmas list
on 7 November 2012
Shame this series had to end but this was a great comic! I want more! I would recommend this series to anyone.
on 8 October 2015
great book
on 12 October 2004
By this stage of the Preacher storyline, it was pretty obvious how bored Garth Ennis had gotten with the book, as the ending was like an off hand dismissal of the characters he had spent so much time developing. But doing this is a fairly typical Ennis move, he bores with characters quite easily and is then quick to run them into the ground, as seen with his recent turn on the Punisher comic book.
The only good thing about this book is that we weren't subjected to yet another Garth Ennis version of the troubles in Northern Ireland, which he amazingly always seems to bring his books back to at some point, even the Punisher for god's sake!
Ennis is insanely overrated and this book is a prime example of why. If you enjoyed the start of Preacher, this ending will be a big let down.