on 20 February 2017
Book in perfect condition. I wanted to explore more interesting vegetarian cuisine so that I might tempt my carnivore husband into feeling he had eaten a meal rather than rabbit food. Tried a couple of the recipes so far and they have been superb! Methods are well explained so I am actually learning to cook this food. The recipes are written in a chronological order so that you can get the timings right. There is a key for dietary suitability, a description of the recipe and also recommends which recipes go with others in the book. Excellent book that I feel will become a kitchen staple and not consigned to the loft.
on 7 January 2014
This book could turn even the most committed meat eaters into at least part-time vegetarians. The dishes are mouthwatering and the textures and flavours are superb. I find I have to cut down the amount of salt and chilli a little, but the recipes are very forgiving and this never detracts from the overall taste. If you're not used to cooking Indian food, my advice is go back to basics and take the Delia approach i.e. prepare, weigh and measure everything out fully before you switch the stove/pan on! If you're an experience cook you'll find these recipes easy, if you're a novice, try them on a rainy day when you've got plenty of time to potter around in the kitchen. Without doubt the best cookery book I bought in 2013.
on 2 June 2015
This is a superb book and a pleasure to both read and cook from.

First off, the recipes work. Follow just exactly what Kaushy Patel says and things will work out fine and delicious too. I have never come across a cookery book with such a success rate before this.

Second, they are delicious. People love the recipes and even the simple things like coriander rice and cauliflower and pea curry give fantastic results.

Third, you will want to introduce more vegetarian cooking to your table. We are not vegetarian but our Indian cooking has switched completely from being heavily meat-biased to using mostly vegetable dishes. We find that a meal without it simply doesn't balance and frequently don't bother with meat unless we have guests.

Do try the potato bhajia if you want to impress with a starter. Wow!
on 7 September 2015
My favourite Indian cookbook! And I have a few....
She uses a lot of oil, but I generally halve it and the recipes still work out well. I purchased a good sized mortar & pestle to use with this book, as she uses a masala paste in a lot of the recipes. I would advise this, as you get a better depth of flavour than you get with just chopping stuff up and it's a lot of fun (until you get chilli in your eye!)
on 13 May 2017
This cookbook has changed my life! I've rarely cooked vegetarian meals in the past but this book has changed everything. The tarka daal recipe is sensational. I must have made it 10 times or more in six months!
on 2 February 2013
I am a great fan of Kaushy and Bobby Patel's restaurant , "The Prashad". I'm lucky to live near enough to dine there. I bought three copies of this book, two for other enthusiasts as Christmas presents and one for myself. We are going to have cook-ins at each other's kitchens to work through all the recipes. Only one of us is a vegetarian but the food is so good it appeals to meat-eaters as well.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 July 2013
This book is the one! Fantastic photography, wonderful anecdotes, and stunning recipes. Real inspiring stuff. So easy to follow and so enjoyable to make - you can't go wrong. Dinner planners, shopping lists; this book has it all. And it's also just a really great book to sit down and read. Highly recommended!
on 13 July 2017
Great book written in a very easy style, with some really good recipes. I have only cooked two so far (one three times though!) but look forward to working my way through it
on 26 February 2014
This is a wonderful cookbook. The recipes are very good and work well. Even though I am not a vegetarian, I can easily enjoy most of these as the main. Probably my best vegetarian cookbook.
on 14 November 2012
I received this in the post today :) i have never written a review, but thought i would share my views. This cook book has been made with a lot of love and attention to detail. The author gives a brief introduction to her cooking background, and shows how hard work, passion for good food and most importantly love have been integral to her recipes. It is so nice to have true Gujarati recipes articulately documented with precise amounts of ingredients. Thank you for this amazing recipe book. Every one who is serious about authentic Indian food should get this. For those people that "need meat" I would still say get this recipe book, try it out and you will not be disappointed.