Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

on 6 September 2017
The content of this book is really good, therefore it is pity the quality of the paper is so poor. I owned another copy of this book that bought from Amazon some years ago, the quality of paper was much better in that copy than this. Unfortunately I lost it, so I had to buy a new copy.

Other reviewers have commented on the poor layout and structure eg order of introducing new grammar units. In my view this book serves well for people who have already studied German and now wish to brush up their knowledge. There are plenty of exercises which all serve to reinforce learning and memory.

It is really easy to see through what is printed on the other side of the paper so you may not want to use a felt pen on the paper, or even an ink pen as they both may shine through, a pencil might have the leadt impact. Thus I give it four stars for the contents and grammar drill are really good.
review image review image review image review image
on 3 August 2012
I was surprised by the 5 star reviews after I'd bought this. It certainly is not complete German Grammar. It is far inferior to the better value Collins Easy Learning German Grammar which is half the price. The hyperlinked Table of Contents is ominously brief. There is no Complete Index.

Prepositions in any language usually require a good long section on their particular idiomatic usage in that language with links for each prepositon in the index and I'd expect that in an upper price bracket grammar book but this isn't forthcoming. Usage of verse tenses is superficial giving only the more obvious uses.

It hasn't been particularly well adapted for the Kindle either - the metadata isn't set as German so that those few German words which aren't in image tables won't show a translation of the German when you hover next to them. The exercises include lots of blank lines which are less than useful on a Kindle nor are they as inspired or well planned as the ones in Shaum's Italian Grammar which sets a standard for this price range of grammar book. You could make them up yourself. My recommendation? Get the Collins instead and make up your own exercises.

PS As I've continued to try to use it, I've dropped a further star to reflect the book's shortcomings as a reference guide and its superficial treatment of grammar. It is hardly worth having an exercise which lists a verb and a lot of blank lines underneath with the instructions 'Write the full subjunctive II conjugations for each of the following verbs'. The chapters are illogical too: Chapter 18 is entitled 'Irregular verbs in the present perfect tense & Adjectives' and indeed, you have to flick through chapter 18's many pages to get to the section on Adjectives. In the later exercise, the texts are untranslated. Tables are used unnecessarily and are in such small type that you have to use Zoom to read them, at which point they turn into landscape view. This makes it annoying when you have to refer back to them repeatedly to complete an exercise. I've just bought Essential German Grammar: Teach Yourself - what a contrast!
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 March 2013
I am finding this to be a very useful guide to the basics of German grammar. I speak some German but in a kindof English way - what could be called 'fussball Deutsch'! Now, however, I am beginning to get the hang of word order, use of prepositions, past participles and so forth. This is entirely due to the repetition of structures contained in the exercises. Very good.
on 26 August 2014
I have the Spanish and French versions of this book and this is by far my favourite. A short vocab list is provided at the start, to enable you to do the first few exercises, then new vocab is introduced is small chunks as you work through the exercises to allow it to sink in. Exercises can be a bit repetitive but I find this very useful to ensure you've absorbed the concepts properly. Well thought out, and well explained.
on 10 January 2017
I bought this because I also have the French version which is excellent. I think this is a good book. I have 4 German grammar books and this is one of the best. Why do I have 4 of them? Well German is hard to learn and I would buy a grammar book and then find it does not explain things very well or uses advanced topics in examples explaining simpler topics e.g. using the Dative in an example before the chapter that actually explains what the Dative case is! The examples in this book are based around the most common verbs and vocab. And the grammar is well explained. My only criticism of this book is that unlike the French version it is printed on really cheap and nasty paper!
on 24 May 2012
my son had one of these books in French, which was excellent, so I have purchased the French, German and Italian versions, all of which are very easy to understand and well written.
on 13 February 2016
This book certainly makes German grammar far more "digestible". All the main grammatical elements are skilfully tackled, and simplified The layout of the exercises is certainly far more pleasing to the eye than my old school edition of Russon's "Complete German Course".
on 23 December 2013
This book teaches you the grammar adequately. However, you also need to consult a real grammar book in order to understand everything in detail. But to practise it, this book is great
on 19 January 2013
Very helpful for self-study. Give you insight in Grammar. Variety of excerises make it easier to memorise. Good addition to any courses!
on 8 December 2013
Great book, well laid out and easy to follow, makes learning German easy and easy to correct mistakes. Great for lesson planning too