Pox: Genius, Madness, and the Mysteries of Syphilis Paperback – 4 Dec 2003
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Riveting.... "Pox will be of interest to anyone who loves a good mystery story."
About the Author
Deborah Hayden, an independent scholar and marketing executive, has lectured on syphilis and creativity, most recently at UCSF Medical School, San Francisco Conservatory of Music, and the Bay Area History of Medicine Society. She lives in Mill Valley, California.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Reviewer: Areader from Las Vegas, NV USA
This is the best book I have read this year, and probably the best book Ihave read in five years. Not only is the information critical forunderstanding a number of historical personages, but Hayden's writing isstimulating. Her words work their way through your system the samecompelling way syphilis worked its way through such a huge portion of thepopulation until the development of penicillin. That is, her message can'tbe ignored. The need for society to put syphilis in the closet is surelyas strong a statement as the impact of the infection itself on genius,madness, and creativity. Given its unusual subject matter, this is adetective book that is hard to put down once you start it.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Diseases & Disorders > Infectious & Contagious Diseases
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Medicine
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Diseases & Disorders > Infectious & Contagious Diseases
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Diseases & Disorders