Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > The Road [DVD] [2009] forum

Post-apocalyptic films

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Apr 2010, 00:37:46 BST
Alex says:
I really enjoyed The Road. Which is your favorite post-apocalyptic film?

Posted on 24 Apr 2010, 14:17:37 BST
AJ says:
It has to be the Mad Max trilogy - hopefully soon to be a quadrilogy when Fury Road is finally unleashed! Just love the stunt work and FX & the whole hell for leather design. Technically speaking only Mad Max 3 is after the actual nuclear war, 1 & 2 just leading up to that event as society breaks down and World War 3 escalates. Mad Max 2 may well be my fav & most watched movie of all time. The likes of Terminator Salvation just don't come close!
Wass really impressed with Escape From New York as well as the 28 Days series. Have you seen Neil Marshall's Doomsday??
You might also like the BBC's Threads which was made in the 80s & depicted the after effects of a nuclear strike on Britain in particular Sheffield.
I enjoyed the 1980's VHS boom of Italian exploitation cinema with all the likes of Bronx Warriors, New Barbarians, 2019 & The Atlantis Interceptors (which was my fav Mad Max rip off)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2010, 14:35:54 BST
J. Stewart says:
The Book Of Eli [DVD] [2009] is worth a watch, if only for the environment.

Posted on 30 Aug 2010, 03:12:46 BST
cateran says:
Post Apocalypse? When did this happen? I've been away.

Posted on 29 Dec 2011, 09:22:33 GMT
Cartimand says:
The most compelling post-apocalyptic depiction ever has to be the TV series 'Survivors' (and I obviously mean the original 70's Survivors, not the woeful, politically correct, lightweight remake). For sheer fun though, Mad Max is hard to beat.

Posted on 28 May 2012, 16:02:23 BST
R.BA-LO says:
28 days later was a good film and 28 weeks later was excellent, but for me The Road stands alone, unrivalled in the genre. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the likes of Mad Max, book of Eli etc, but I enjoyed them for what they are: indulgent action-movies with little realism. This is not a bad thing I enjoy some crazy stunts, and fantasy-action in my movies, I don't want to sit down to a serious piece of profound cinema every time I watch a film. But when I do I am all too often disappointed by the promise of a great film which turns out to be a poor effort. The Road was rare in that it did not disappoint.

A story that has a lot to say to (and about) society and humanity.
The microcosmic relationship between two people (father and son) that reverberates through the wider relationship structures of family, community, society, species. What do we mean to each other?

Posted on 26 Jul 2012, 00:14:42 BST
ric_mac says:
The most chilling post-apocalyptic film I haveseen is Threads. Not comfortable viewing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  6 Apr 2010
Latest post:  26 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
The Road [DVD] [2009]
The Road [DVD] [2009] by Viggo Mortensen (DVD - 2010)
3.8 out of 5 stars (341)