Format: Kindle Edition|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 January 2014
I am a huge fan of the Ryan Lock series by Sean Black and was looking forward to testing the waters with his new stand alone thriller Post. I have to be honest and say that when I read the synopsis I was a little worried. You see I’m not particularly a fan of the kind of war books that this one seemed to be on the surface; especially not the ones that involved Government type conspiracies. <BIG sigh> how wrong could I have been?

Byron Tibor has spent years in Combat and serving his country. The first few chapters of this book kind of took my breath away. We fall straight into a combat situation where Byron is working as a lone operator. The sheer energy and exhilaration I went through when reading this reminded me of that feeling you get when you watch a really intense film! I was amazed (and I don’t mean that to sound disrespectful), a woman that doesn’t read this type of book and I just HAD to carry on reading.

When I did carry on reading I began to get a little confused. Had Sean Black made a major error in the storyline? Why didn’t it make any sense? Well, I now realise that’s the whole point in the beginning; you need to question it as you go along. This whole book centres on the US Government and their new programme which involves inserting an implant into their best soldiers to create a ‘guilt free and enhanced’ soldier. I know that some people will be shaking their heads at this description. Believe me, I am normally one of them so I totally get that. However, this story is one of those that will get your brain ticking. I’m certainly not somebody who believes in far fetched ideas; however there is a real ‘Big Brother’ syndrome with this book.

Aside from that aspect of the book we get to see Byron Tibor, who is by the way an awesome lead character, fight his way through his battle to get to the truth about himself. I went through varying emotions when reading this, but the overlying emotion was one that meant I didn’t want to stop reading. I was actually pretty sad to get to the end and couldn’t believe how amazing I thought this book was. Yep, many people will think ‘well the author gave her a copy so she would say that’. I need you to understand something though. I review because I love books, I don’t get paid one single penny to do it, and I’m certainly not shy in coming forward (which I’m sure some authors will happily confirm). I can be very critical when needs be, but in this case Sean Black put me firmly in my place.

Finally, I just wanted to touch on the genre of this book. It’s pegged as a thriller and it certainly falls into that category. But some people may say it should fall into Science Fiction. If that’s the case I need to change my standard “I don’t read Science Fiction” line, to “I don’t read Science Fiction, but I do read Sean Black”.

Sean Black has proved that you need nothing and nobody to produce an amazing book, just the talent. For the price of this book (less that £2 on Kindle) you really should give it a try. This was an amazing book that took my breath away and left me with more questions than answers. I sincerely hope that this is the start of what looks to be an amazing series
I have liked reading Sean Black novels since he came on the scene, and am a big fan of the Ryan Lock series, just reading the latest one now - review later on.

This is the first instalment of what looks like a good franchise starring Byron Tibor. Without giving too much away, he is =a seasoned specialist who goes into hostile areas to complete missions, however, he has implants in his head, fingers and a skeletal armour. These make him able to see how people react (fear, anger etc), and has faster reflexes and sharper to give him the edge. After an event in one mission (start of the book) he begins to lose control and suffers from stress and starts seeing things that are not there and goes on the run. From there it is a cat and mouse between Byron and the authorities.

I liked the way at the beginning of chapters, it tells you who is speaking, so you hear the story from their point of view, so it drags you in deeper and deeper as you read. I could not put it down, even reading until late in the early hours until my kindles power died on me. A fascinating story and hopefully not the last we will hear from Byron.

My only criticism is that at times I felt some chapters were a little rushed, however that is just my opinion. It did not stop me from enjoying the read - it could have been double the length and I would have stayed up all night reading it - it was that good.
on 26 January 2014
The first chapter of the book caught me by surprise, stunning, not only the events but also what they implied.
Nobody is safe with this writer.

The events after the first chapter got me hooked, perhaps it had something to do with one of the main characters having the same name as my daughter, but I loved the ride. From the mountains of Afghanistan, to the deserts in Nevada and the conclusion in New York City, one ride that won't be forgotten.

Byron Tibor, finds himself on a journey into the unknown when he realizes that past events and current threats are all mixed up in his mind due to a secret mission plotted by some people within the highest ranks of the US government. Memories and current events all brought together by a new kind implant, meant to make better soldiers. Great action sequences, a brutal chase and violent action with enough humanity to make it real, it was all in this book. I loved the Human 2.0 idea and love to see more of this.

The human interaction between the characters was awesome and the events unfolded in a great way. This book showed me that this author proved again that he can easily stand between the great thriller writers such as Robert Ludlum, Brad Thor, Matthew Reilly, Joseph Finder, Vince Flynn and Tom Clancy. After his Ryan Lock novels, it is time for another hero to travel with, I do hope that this is only the first book in what will become a great series.
on 26 June 2014
Just finished it! a fantastic semi SiFi story, would recommend it to all you adventure/thriller readers out there. I thought the Ryan Lock stories were well worthy of 5 stars, but this eclipsed them all. Pity we can't give more stars! keep it up Sean!
on 13 February 2014
Sean Black has departed from the Ryan Locke books to write a truly scary, thought-provoking action/Scifi thriller.

Byron Tibor is a Special Forces veteran who has seen too many horrors and wants to get back to normality but the nightmares and ghosts haunt him every day.

He becomes part of a special programme that turns him from man to a enhanced killing machine with just enough humanity left to keep him level.

He has to battle for survival and for his future after leaving the project with the scientists, Police and a cold-blooded killer trying to track him down.

This is, hopefully, the first of a series about Byron. He's not a likeable character and his morals are sometimes questionable but the premise is fascinating. I really enjoyed this and look forward to book two
on 12 September 2014
Sean Black is now my "go to" author when I'm looking for a new title. The speed at which the plot moved, even though it was very complex, was incredible. There are a few long reviews giving plot summaries, so i won't delve any further, but I will say that this book will get you thinking about the world in which we live and what goes on 'behind the scenes', so to speak.

A fantastic lead character, an amazing plot, brilliant supporting characters. This has the lot!
on 5 February 2014
I was blown away by this stand alone book by my favourite author Sean Black. Thriller or
Sci-fi???? You need to read it & make up your own mind. I won't go into details about the
storyline because it would totally ruin you reading experience. Needless to say Sean has created
a new hero, man or machine??? Who knows but I want to know more of him & hope that through
Sean we will continue to have more books about this amazing & unusual hero.
Don't leave us hanging on the precipice for too long Sean.
on 14 May 2016
Another novel that is in need of better "proof reading". You may question, why, I continue to read these novels by Sean Black. The reason is that, I enjoy the multi-layered plots and characters.
on 28 January 2014
Bryon seems like an ordinary special forces soldier, but he's carrying a dark secret under his skin, a secret that could destroy him and everyone he loves. I was so worried for Byron and everyone else in the story that I read this in one sitting, fingers crossed that everyone would be OK. Great action, fascinating characters, and a premise that I hope is science fiction but might be science fact. Creepy and intense.
on 25 February 2014
This book had me hooked right from the start. That instant hook, followed by the clever revelation of plot and characters (Tibor) was brilliantly done. It's a high class piece of writing, but more to the point, an absolutely cracking thriller.

Best I've read for a long time. Very highly recommended