on 15 February 2013
I got this book a few years ago. Its now 2013 and Lance Armstrong has finally manned up and admitted what he, and the rest of them where all up to.

I really enjoyed this book at the time i read it, however now i realise that it was infact, all a big load of fantasy! Actually, its almost impressive that Landis could write a whole book of lies, but i can't help but feel that he somewhat duped me into giving him money through this book.

Instead, i highly recommend the secret race. A good read, with at least some honesty in it (i think).
on 12 October 2007
This book is an interesting read and should be of interest to anyone who is interested in drugs in sport. Some of the background detail is good and shows up some of the politics involved in the sport. However, the basic premise is that he never cheated, and here we are delving into a fantasy land that most drug cheats seem to live. If resent events re other 'innocent' and 'victimised' athletes are to show anything then we should believe the evidence more often than cries of innocent, no matter how well written.
on 22 October 2011
This is a an exceptionally interesting book. History tells us it is a complete pack of lies, so once you know the truth that has come out in recent years, this books makes for an interesting snapshot in time.

It comes across like a badly written script for a hollywood blockbuster. In hindsight that is not surprising, given it was not exactly an honest account of events. But it tries to create a world where we can all route for Landis, a kind of Hollywood style 'man against all odds' script that has won over American audiences since the big screen was invented. For example, after the collapse on stage 16 of the 2006 Tour he writes Axel Merckx said 'you made me a better rider than I actually am by believing in you, and I still believe in you' before Landis explains how he came up with the plan for Stage 17 that would win the tour, and see him accomplish his dreams.

Because it is a pack of lies, Landis has tried very hard to try and portray how an innocent man would have acted, and would have thought - except he had no reference point of this because he was guilty as sin. I suspect the whole thing is a work of Landis' imagination. He makes himself the underdog and hero in every scenario in a way that is destined for the big screen. He is trying to tell people how it should have all played out - a cry for support, and Landis seems to think the only way to get that support is to base the lead character on Maverick from Top Gun.

I doubt there is any truth in this account at all.

But that is why this is such a fascinating read. Don't think this is an account of the real Floyd Landis, think of it more as an account of a guilty doper clearly shocked that he has been caught. It is fascinating for all the things it doesn't say, for what it is covering up, and as a portrayal of how a guilty mind works. I like the way it seems as if Landis is trying to convince himself as much as the public.

Hindsight now allows us to treat this book in a completely different to the manner in which it was intended. It reveals Landis to be delusional, guilty and desperate. In some ways it is fairly sad to see a man resort to such desperate measures but equally it is fascinating. Landis should get no credit for this work, after all it is a delusional account based on lies. Read it as a study of the mind of a cheater, not of a man setting the record straight.

But do read it. Then read Lance Armstrong's 'Its not about the bike'...
on 28 October 2014
Interesting read and had i read it prior to knowing what i now know about Lance Armstrong i might have had some sympathy with Landis. We have learned all about Armstrongs cheating on a monumental scale so Floyd taking his side and his criticising of the USADA comes across as farcical and just is not true.

Nobody was allowed to race with Armstrong on his team and not dope as it would have left Armstrong in a weak position and the other rider having a hold over him. Floyd must have doped to be on his team. If he didnt dope he wouldnt have raced with Lance, its as simple as that. Floyd raced with him for 3 years i think and Floyd stating in this book that he didnt dope is of course utter fantasy.

The comments on Lances bullying certainly ring true but thats about the only thing in the whole book that does. You have to wonder how someone could write an entire book based on what he knew to be lies. You got caught Floyd, you cheated and we all now know you did it. You should be ashamed to have written this book and had it published, good read or not.
on 20 October 2008
I have read most readers coments on this book and whilst the book gives an insight into the Landis early years and his unsettled time with the US postal team, the real read is about the day he rode away from the whole peloton on arguably the hardest stage in the 2006 Tour de France.
He says "I kinda had the most dreadful day, the day before and I thought my tour dream was over". You would certainly have to agree with him on that very point, loosing 8 minutes to your nearest tour rivals on a mountain stage would generally mean the kiss of death!!But Landis went out for a drink with the lads and had a few too many in order to forget about what had happend.
He woke up the next day and said to his team mates "I'm going for it", they called it the greatest come back ever in the tour?? Completely reverse the losses you had only 24 hours ago on the toughest stage, chased by one of the stongest teams and the yellow jersey holder.
The landis defence is around data error and incorrect procedure!!!
I am still quite sure in my own mind even if Landis won the tour in 2006 and there was no failed drug test I would still call him a cheat. You can not get away from the fact that what happend was just not possible in any way whatsoever from a rider not taking drugs.
The only miracles ever to make it are filmed in Hollywood?
on 5 June 2015
Reading this book after the fact is extremely interesting. Obviously sport stars who reach this level have incredible natural ability; an ability to push through pain and a drive to reach heights, and that drive possibly breeds the pride it takes to spend millions of dollars on scrubbing the slate clean of a failed banned substance test.
The politics involved in cycling are clear here with what we now know. But at the time this was written, we had to take Floyd's word as gospel. And the gospel according to Floyd here is he reached heights fellow American riders didn't like with sheer hard work, honesty and integrity. We read about his training camps, his loves in life apartf from cycling, his clear and logical thought behind losing the faith his parents bestowed upon him. We hear about his love of his parents, the love of cycling from a young age and we hear what it takes to become a pro-cycler and more importantly, what it takes to win.
I would read a follow up book in a heartbeat, a book this time which is totally honest.
on 22 April 2014
I was thinking that the new title for this book should be: Positively Positive: The Real Story of How I Cheated to 'Win' the Tour de France

Also the book should be moved either into the fiction catagory or the true crime catagory
on 28 October 2014
I read this book post Armstrong's confession on Oprah in January 2013 as I thought it would be interesting to see how Landis tried to maintain his innocence having failed a drugs test after his inbelievable comeback on Stage 17 of the 2006 Tour de France. I have to say, it makes quite interesting reading. I would like to think that the story prior to 2002, when he joined US Postal is all true, particularly his childhood growing up in a Mennonite community in Pennsylvania. The rest, as has since been revealed, is a pack of lies.

I did think, however, that had I not been in possession of the facts, his story sounds quite plausible, apart from his ressurection after Stage 16 of Le Tour. Especially his aruments about the USADA process and Dick Pound at WADA. He paints a picture of a flawed system which has little regard for the athletes it is investigating. I suspect it was Armstrong that shopped him to his pals at the UCI, which drove him to a bitter and acrimonious campaign to falsely clear his name. I am sure, the fact fact that he knew that his mentor, Armstrong and his cronies at US Postal had been getting away with it for years made him feel bitter that he was not being allowed to get away with it too.

All in all, it makes an interesting read about a guy, who due to circumstance was prepared to totally ignore his moral compass in return for fame and material gain. It makes me think, what I would have done in his shoes? Unlike many commentators on the subject, I do not think it is a s black and white as some would like to believe. We have all been there to a lesser or greater extent.
on 18 March 2015
False is correct, great book up to the last 50 pages were he fight's and fight's to clear his name setting up a foundation to clear his name, knowing that 3 years after the book was written he admitted to everything anyway.
on 5 July 2007
interesting book about Floyd Landis, his career and recent fight against doping authorities. Explanations of the case towards the end are somewhat boring (I believe in his innocence anyway) but everything up to that is extremely interest. His determination should be inspiration to everyone.