Asus Xonar U1 USB Portable PC Audio Upgrade Solution for Laptops or Desktops
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Xonar U1 transcodes any stereo source into Dolby Headphone, Virtual Speaker, and 5.1-channel Dolby Digital & Pro-Logic II surround sound. It also supports DirectSound, EAX, OpenAL for best gaming in Windows Vista and XP.
Xonar U1’s built-in high-fidelity headphone amplifier achieves best listening quality with most stereo headphones (8~150 ohms @ >10mWx2)
The bundled advanced Array MIC technology can suppress ambient noises for up-to-20 dB, leaving only front-side clear voice for VOIP applications (Skype, MSN, Google, QQ, etc.) or online gaming.
Xonar U1 Audio Station
Optical S/PDIF Adapter
Stereo Vertical Array Microphone
Driver and Utility Disk
Top customer reviews
- Can do 5.1 surround via an optical cable, if your speakers support this or you have a decoder, my Z-5500s support this so no need for a decoder
- Small solidly built device, looks good and comes in various colors
- Drivers play well with vista x64, no problems yet, the software is easy enough to use.
- Surround sound in games works with EAX 1.0 and 2.0. Also i *think* it can do 3.0-5.0 with a driver update, DS3D GX 2.0 is the thing that enabled software emulation of EAX's 3.0-5.0 with xonar cards and this card says it has that with the latest driver update from the ASUS website, so i assume it can do all EAX's in software now.
- Its a bit on the expensive side. Theres a cheaper creative external (the replacement for the audigy 2 nx) called the x-fi surround 5.1 but like i said ive had enough with creative drivers and im not exactly sure what the x-fi's capabilties are, theres no really in depth reviews on it and creative has a tendancy to market things deceptively (x-fi xtreme audio isnt a real x-fi but actually more like an 8 year old audigy 1). So anyway there are externals with more ports etc for less but i cant vouch for their quality, the xonar is high quality stuff.
Immediately you recognise that this is a very elegant little piece of kit - The construction is solid and it has a nice weight to it. I tested my SoundMagic E10 and a pair of Klipsch Status headphones and found that they were driven easily needing no more than 40% at max to be uncomfortable, with the former needing much less! I have no doubt that the headphone amp could power some of the most hungry headphones.
The big one; the sound. After 20 minutes or so of tweaking I was able to tie down the settings to my personal taste. I am not a big fan of the virtual surround settings as I feel they introduce artefacts into the tracks so I leave them out. What I can also say is that it does sound very good to my ears, a very large improvement over my onboard DAC! The bass is tight and powerful, the midrange is pleasant and distinct. The treble isn't harsh but definitely crisp. And most importantly there is no hissing now either! The volume dial has a nice smooth spin to it, which makes cranking the volume up and down fun :)
But now for the bad. The technical specs aren't exactly anything to shout about, quoted at 48kHz and 16bit, this product will not give other DACs a run for their money when it comes to numbers. Although under Windows 8.1 there is an option to set the sampling higher but I don't know if that is overridden by the Asus program itself... I am also aware that numbers aren't everything but nevertheless, we like higher! :)
Also, the USB cable length is very short (giving the impression that this product is primarily geared towards laptop users) Luckily I had a spare USB extension lying around, however, if you need more than 20cm I would recommend one! Finally, the volume control has an infinite spin, thus there is no minimum or maximum catch like you see on other products!
Despite the apparently low technical specs, the sound produced is very clean and very tight. There are enough sound processing feature to please most people and it sounds far better than my onboard solution! I am very impressed with this product and would recommend it if you are on a budget for high quality audio.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?