on 12 February 2016
I’d never heard of Seth Lakeman until I saw him on the BBC1 Breakfast show back in 2008, he was on talking about his album which was “Poor Man’s Heaven”, and they showed some of the single he’d released off the album which was called “The Hurlers”. :-)

I really liked it so I went to see if Amazon had the CD, they did so I bought that along with a couple of his others. :-)

The CD booklet has a couple of still photos.

I love the way he composes and how a lot of his songs are about the Southwest. :-)

If you were to ask me if I’d any favourites I’d have to say yes, it’s the entire CD. :-)

Personally I love this this CD and it’s a must for all Seth Lakeman fans. :-)
VINE VOICEon 18 January 2012
If you are new to Seth Lakeman he's often been described as Indy Folk and I guess its not a bad description. There's plenty of traditional folk elements with excellent playing but also a lot of driving guitar strumming reminiscent of many indy bands but as he is so quick at changing chords you also get a lot of harmony/melody from the strumming. There is also guitar picking.

Youtube Kitty Jay (he can make all that noise solo and live), Solomon Brown and The White Hare to get a flavour of what you can expect from him. (Only Solomon Brown being on this album)

Its all acoustic instruments and the four members of the band for this album can line up for kick off in this formation: drummer, guitar, violin/tenor guitar/banjo/foot board/singing and double bass/banjo.

For me this is his best album so far (up to Tales from the Barrel House) because as with all his albums there are great songs but this has the best overall collection. Solomon Brown and Crimson Dawn are my favourites and are perhaps more traditional poppy folk songs but both have fantastic delicate and exquisite melodies/harmonies.

(Edit I'm listening to Freedom Fields a lot now a now not sure which is best!).

You also have the excellent foot stompers Race to be King and The Hurlers, Poormans Heaven that feel full of tension and ready for something to kick off. Along with some more slower atmospheric songs.

I believe its a bit of a concept album with the songs relating to the sea, Solomon Brown being particularly poignant telling the tale of the Penlee lifeboat disaster in 1981.

Anyway in short worth it just for Crimson Dawn or Solomon Brown but a great album all round that you don't need to be a folkie to appreciate.
VINE VOICEon 15 April 2009
This album has an instant draw that is very rarely apparent in modern music. When you have people over to your house, you put music on in the background and hope that people will say `wow, this is so good - who is it?' This happens every time with this album, and is an excellent way to demonstrate the instant appeal of Seth Lakeman.

The music is instantly interesting - with a full sound, all jangly guitars, violins (fiddles?!) and interesting rhythms. The melodies and lyrics that accompany them are just as impulsively likeable.

My favourite here is Solomon Browne, a magically written tribute to the Penlee lifeboat disaster which sends shivers down your spine. The other highlight is probably Crimson Dawn, and there is something about Haunt You that instantly pulls me to it.

The whole album is a hit with me, and I'm sure it will continue to grow with familiarity. As a newcomer to Seth I can't compare it with his other releases, but I am a convert and will be searching out some more Lakeman for my stereo!
One person found this helpful
on 14 February 2016
track 1 the Hurlers - superbTrack 2Feather ina stormalso superbTrack 3Solomon BroCrimson Dawn -excellentTrack4Blood Red sky - epicTrack 5 ;Solomon Browne-brilliantTrack 6Cherry RedGirl;greatTrack 7;I'll haunt You; haunting..Track 8Race to be King; geniusTrack 9PoorMan's heaven; [...] A SUPERB ALBUM SHOWING LAKEMAN AT HIS VERY BEST- BUY I ITAND YOU WILL LISTEN TO IT MANY TIMESOVER , I PROMISE!
on 2 August 2017
If you're a Seth Lakeman fan you'll love this, if you aren't you'll love it too, so buy it!!
One person found this helpful
on 18 May 2018
After seeing Seth support Robert Plant I had the buy the album. No regrets, a great album from the Cornish singer songwriter.
on 21 September 2017
Just fine, no problems. Cheers.
on 6 December 2017
Good listening
Item as described
on 30 January 2014
A folk singer with.clout! I love Seth's music from the first time i saw him in concert supporting Martyn Joseph to today, he is awesome to listen to his style of music and classic sound, a songwriter and singer Seth is superbly gifted.
on 31 May 2014
This is an excellent album. Having seen him live this is a perfect reminder of his talent. I will be watching for his next visit to Glasgow.