- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
The Poor in England 1700-1850: An Economy of Makeshifts (Documents in Modern History S.) Paperback – 21 Jan 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'Each chapter is fluently written and deeply immersed in primary sources. The work as a whole makes an original contribution to the historiography of poverty, combining as it does a high degree of scholarship with intellectual innovation.' --Anne Borsay, University of Wales, Swansea
About the Author
Steven King is Professor of History at Oxford Brookes University; Alannah Tomkins is Senior Lecturer in History at the University of Keele
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
As for the actual writing - neither Thompson nor Christopher Hill, for example, are they. The writing lacks the clarity, the incisiveness, the fluidity or the semantic accuracy of those historians. The pedestrian and awkward text did little to further their arguments or interest in their chosen focus. And about that I am truly dismayed because the lives of the labouring poor is my area of history, too.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics > History
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts
- Books > History > Social & Economic History > Health & Welfare
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences