Poetry of the Thirties (Penguin Modern Classics) Paperback – 28 Sep 2000
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Louis Macneice, something of a depressive divorcee, displaced Irishman, class warrior, wandering in London Rain and pondering imperial shame in the British Museum reading room.
Auden, poster boy for disaffected distance, going to neutral America and waiting for 1939 to burn back in Europe.
Laurie Lee, drifting far from sleepy Gloucestershire and playing fiddle for his supper in small Spanish towns.
Dylan Thomas, new, daring thought prose that still sparkles and challenges.
Betjeman's populist easy rhymes of class (rhyme with arse), but there's few better provincial ends than a Death in Leamington.
Spender "all mystery or nothing", and C Day Lewis; communist leanings and poor sub-Eliot half images.
The smaller names' words still resonate: Randall Swingler, Norman Cameron, Philip O'Connor..but only one woman; Anne Ridler. No one seemed that interested in whatever women had to say it seems.
The 1930s - last word to Charles Madge: "We shall be differently aware, we shall see all things new, not as a craze or a surprise, but hard, naked, true."
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Poetry & Poets
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Poetry > Anthologies
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Poetry > By Period > 20th Century
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Poetry > By Period > Classical, Early & Medieval
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Poetry > World