- Paperback: 208 pages
- Publisher: Particular Books (25 April 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1846147093
- ISBN-13: 978-1846147098
- Product Dimensions: 13.3 x 1.7 x 19.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (85 customer reviews)
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
90,369 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #45 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Ancillary Services > Occupational Therapy
- #59 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Ancillary Services > Creative Therapy
- #86 in Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Counselling & Therapy
The Pocket Scavenger Paperback – 25 Apr 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Keri Smith is a best-selling author, illustrator, and thinker. Her books include Wreck this Journal, This is Not a Book, How to Be an Explorer of the World, Mess, Finish This Book, The Pocket Scavenger, Everything Is Connected, The Imaginary World of . . . as well as Wreck This App, This is Not an App, and the Pocket Scavenger app.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book will teach you observation, a skill that is very useful in life; and it will also teach you to look at the objects in a different way. The author suggests that once you have found the object, just the beginning of the process that you then randomly select an alteration process and record it in the book. This is where it moves from mere collecting to interacting with your environment and the found objects creatively. There's a whole art genre to do with found objects and seeing them in a different way as well as creative recycling. This book will help stretch the creative muscles in both directions.
When you have an whole book full of scavenges to do then the author has to be a lot more creative - or they will get repetitive. Fortunately Keri Smith has more than risen to this challenge and provided a very thoughtful selection of objects to find and process. Some of them are obvious and easy - some of them are obscure and tricky to locate, and unlike a puzzle in a book there are many right answers. For all them, make sure you read the instructions in the front of the book. That way you'll get most from it.
If I have a niggle, it's that the book is a paperback, we're told to stick things in the book. That would have worked much better if the book had been wire or ring bound. I know that costs more - but I would suggest to the publishers they might want to think about it.
But in any case, still great fun!
The book is designed to be fairly robust, and so comes with a water resistant cover and thicker than normal pages. Each page contains a thing to find and allows a log to be kept of the time, date and location. These things can be physical such as an elastic band, virtual such as a rubbing from a gravestone or virtual as in something that is broken. The reader is then encouraged to write a story about it. Following this there are further tasks which can be performed on each thing by turning the book upside down and reading small notes at the bottom of each page such as "Frame it" or "add a colour based upon a memory associated with the item".
I eventually decided that I was thinking too hard about the Zen-like introduction to the book and the life-changing implications for myself and gave it to my niece whilst I was visiting for a long weekend. She immediately sent most of the day out and about collecting some of the things listed which she brought back and proudly displayed to us and we chatted at great length about them.
Which I guess indirectly achieved the aim of the book. Well played...
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great my grandchildren are loving it great fun for all agesPublished 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
Excellent condition, arrived quickly.
My daughter loves collecting things for the book, the things you're required to fin are easy... good for a rainy day inside
Came next day and I dont own prime so that was great, great book to lost to do in itPublished 8 months ago by Rachel Higgins
returned as similar to other books by author that I already owned .Published 9 months ago by Newgardendesign
This was a gift for a family member. The item went down extremely well and the recipient loved it. Item arrived on time and with no issue.Published 10 months ago by dawn
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Ancillary Services > Creative Therapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Ancillary Services > Occupational Therapy
- Books > Home & Garden > Crafts
- Books > Humour > Doctors & Medicine
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Counselling & Therapy
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z