VINE VOICEon 22 June 2011
I'm a big fan of the Rough Guides. I love the fact that many of them are still written by people with an obvious passion for the country you are visiting with a good eye for its quirks and amusing facets. I like the contexts section at the end so that references to the local culture or history don't faze you.

This book isn't like that. It is much more like Dorling Kindersley's Top Ten city guides. I've grown to like these too. They pack a lot of information in and have a certain cheeky charm to them (the history of an ancient town reduced to ten top incidents).

It starts - very strongly - with top fives of sights to see, places to eat, bars to visit and so on and some very good itineraries. These come illustrated with beautiful photographs. At the back there is a very handy pull out map which unfolds to give a clear lay out of the city.

There is some very helpful advice for getting around the city. I found its recommendations for restaurants, bars and places to go very good.

However, some of the prices were badly out. The cost of buying tickets on the Lisbon trams seems to have increased dramatically, for instance.

The guide seemed to lack something in terms of the detail that it gave to the various sights to see. I personally prefer the depth of the proper Rough Guides: they are informative and entertaining. And DK's Top Tens might be lightweight but they still manage greater space for their top places to visit.

Overall, however, I'd still recommend this: its size is a huge advantage when carrying it around, the map is very useful and the recommendations generally better and more helpful than the Top Ten's.
on 7 June 2011
Hi. I just came back from Lisbon (May 2011). Despite the fact that the book was published in April 2011 (it says so on the cover) much information is simply wrong. Many clubs and restaurants described in the book have been closed for some time. Prices quoted in the guide have changed as well. Also, the guide gives wrong info on timing when travelling from A to B. This guide book cannot be relied on and needs serious updating.
on 7 June 2014
I found this guide very disappointing. It did not bring Lisbon to life and I found it inaccurate in several areas. It recommended restaurants that were basic tourist traps and food prices indicated bore little resemblance to what we had to pay - which was invariably much more. It didn't give basic information such as a warning about the habit of restaurants putting unrequested starters and bread on your tables that you did not pay for unless you ate them. (we initially assumed they were complimentary - to our cost). Basic advice about climate would have been useful such as bring some warm clothes as the temperatures can really drop off in the evening (a June visit). The maps were confusing. For instance our hotel was actually marked but unfortunately in the wrong place causing us to wander around for an age trying to find it. It obviously had information in it and we did use the guide. However we did not fully trust it which is a shame. I have used Rough Guides for a long time as they used to be thorough, lively, accurate and a bit quirky - they stood out. I am afraid this guide was terribly mediocre.
on 24 May 2011
The book is small enough to keep in your pocket and got me around Lisbon fine. The map is good, though maybe not of Alfama where I was staying (though neither was Google maps). I like these guides as the map is removable, so you can just take that bit with you.

You get all the useful info you'd expect with Rough Guides, like how to get a pre-paid card for public transport and finding things off the beaten track.

I spent some time looking and I think this is the best guide to a weekend in Lisbon. I've already lent it to people so it's getting well used.
on 14 April 2014
The maps are small, lousy (try and zoom in, and all definition disappears, so it's impossible to work out, well, anything) and do not connect to each other, making it impossible to navigate round the city - the paperback version probably has a full scale plan, but I could not find it in the kindle version. Nor could I locate a metro map. Optimised for large screens? I don't think so.

The information was out of date too: restaurants closed, prices incorrect, opening times erratic. Forgivable in a paperback. Less so in a kindle version.

I really wish I'd been more organised and bought the full Rough Guide. Or, you know, gone to a bricks and mortar bookshop.
on 14 April 2012
This is a useful guide to Lisbon, and in a great format, fits easily into a handbag . . . The information is well organized, and easy to read.

Obviously, prices are out of date . . . so be prepared to check before you visit some attractions if this is an issue for you. Entry to the castle for example is now 7.50 euros per adult.

I have enjoyed using this guide, but the paper used for the map (which is a good map) is such poor quality that it began to fall to pieces after the first time it was used for a couple of days. This is a pity because the map itself is very good, and in my opinion better than the one provided by the tourist office. It would be great if the map was printed on better quality paper.
on 19 October 2013
This is a really excellent product with loads of useful information for a few days in Lisbon. It's broken down into areas of the city, plus a few outings to Sintra and along the coast, so makes it really easy to nose around one specific area for half a day, helped by the map with every address marked. Very good info on museums, shops and restaurants. The format is perfect to carry around & you really wouldn't need more than this for a few days to a week in this fabulous city. Obviously there's no in-depth info as in the bigger Rough Guides - but hey, it's a lot more compact & cheaper!
on 9 October 2011
Very good guide for the price, not really up to date but still valid.
Possibly more detail would be helpful on each major site
on 27 October 2014
Very helpful and detailed guide - just what I needed for a long weekend. It had some helpful ideas for planning sightseeing area by area and good eating and drinking recommendations.
on 21 March 2013
The book itself is good - a handy size, very good maps, usefully divided into sections according to the different areas of Lisbon, but the prices are dramatically wrong. We had to add at least 50% to most of the stated prices. Granted, I assume this means that there have been some pretty huge price-rises in Portugal since this book was published, but it did mean that we couldn't rely on this book from that point of view.

Another thing we discovered is that the Lisbon Metro now goes out as far as the airport. This section of the Metro only opened last year, so before this book was published.