on 17 December 2009
This book is a must any gardener. Not only is it a great read it is also it packed full of information for all levels of gardeners. What is really wonderful is the inclusion of wildlife stories and snippets. nice pictures too. It reminds us that gardening is not a chore in any way; it is a wonderful blessing. We must remember when we are digging the plot or planting the seed, that being out in the open at one with nature is one of the world's sweetest pleasures. Take time to smell the flowers, take time to make a friend with a robin, pause for a cup of tea. Thank you Mr. Dirty Nails and I guess Mrs Nails needs to take some adolation too.
on 20 May 2010
I have to differ from other reviewers of this book. Although it is clear the author is knowledgeable and passionate about the subject and writes well, there is nevertheless sparse practical information on growing vegetables. I don't mind the month by month approach but some of the headline topics seem a little obscure and many of the important tasks at various times of the year are glossed over while pet issues are dealt with in detail. There is also very little on fruit growing at all. The whole book reads more like a personal diary rather than a good information source for growers. Anyone considering buying this book should take this into account but please read the other more positive reviews too.
on 22 May 2015
What an amazing read, almost helped me plot my plot for the while year, i also love the inception of wildlife journalism here and there. Gardeners remain some of the biggest allies of wildlife, wether we zap bugs with guns or not, we all play a part in conserving our dwindling wildlife. Fantastic read, highly recommended!
on 26 May 2013
nice little book for relaxing reading whilst away on holliday and making plans for return to allotment slugs and snails
on 13 January 2015
Borrowed this originally at my local library but once read bought a copy
on 5 January 2015
Excellent well written book by Joe Hashman. I bought it for my son.
on 27 September 2010
I have been growing veg for a few years now and have both of Dirty Nails's other books. When I was given this as a gift I was not sure if I needed it. However, I was truely impressed. I love the way Dirty Nails writes. He tells me everything I need to know in his own easy to follow way. I especially like the step by step photograph strips. Apart from looking beautiful they show me exactly what to do. Thanks Dirty Nails you've done it again. Your next book is already on my Christmas list!
on 15 May 2012
Just to say that I loved this book which had me laughing out loud in some instances. Marvellous book; interesting and informative without taking gardening too seriously. It felt like Joe was beside me in the garden like that little robin who always arrives when you take the spade out.
on 2 January 2015