Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > Wish You Were Here forum

Please let us have Wish You Were Here on SACD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jan 2009, 21:09:10 GMT
Dark Side of the Moon is arguably the greatest album ever made. Was it better on the 30th Anniversary remix SACD release? That's a tough question. Technical improvements in the listening experience aside, what I think it really did was give us the opportunity to hear the music in a new way (and one lovingly crafted by James Guthrie, and reviewed by Messers Gilmore and Right). Personally, I loved the old stereo mix and I love the new 5.1 mix too. After the delight of discovering DSOTM on SACD, I was really excited to hear Mr Guthrie had been working his multi-channel magic on Wish You Were Here. Rumors began to fly in 2007, and it was believed an SACD would be released in Feb 2008 - but the date came, and went, and we are still left WYWH-less in 2009 ;-( I wish someone would give us a definitive statement of what is going to happen; I have heard that the WYWH SACD has become a bit of a part time project for Dave Gilmore - so who knows, maybe the album will appear one day - but it would be nice to know for sure.

Posted on 18 May 2009, 00:09:31 BST
S. Vaughan says:
I listened to the album on vinyl when it first came out in a darkened room as a 20 yr old student. Absolute magic. Over the years I've had a cassette recorded from that vinyl original but rather than digitalise that I bought this remastered download. What a load of cack. What have they done to Gilmour's guitar on "Shine on". This is the bit that every aspiring guitarist wants to play. On vinyl the power of it jumps out & grabs you - remastered here, it's shoved to the background where it whimpers insipidly. I'm going to digitalise my old cassette & it'll be a load better than what I've just bought. Not sure what SACD is - but remastered digital is not for me if this is what it's about

Posted on 8 Jun 2009, 22:27:54 BST
Sorry to hear you were disapointed by the digitally remastered CD; CD digital isn't kind to every music source (particularly, it seems to me, those originally recorded using vintage analog technology). What SACD does, is to bring you a much more analogue sound, but with the advantage of CD sized disks, and without the inevitable crackles and pops that vinyl gives you (yes, I know some listeners accept this as an integral part of the vinyl listening experience, its just not for me personally). So, SACD - all the convenience and reliability of CD plus the listening experience of vinyl.

Posted on 18 Nov 2009, 21:25:22 GMT
A. Walker says:
I heard that it was done but the band weren't happy with it.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2010, 01:49:52 GMT
John Pulver says:
After hearing the Alan Parsons' Quadraphonic mix of Dark Side at an audio exhibition in London in about 1975, I bought the QS encoded version on vinyl and have finally bought the SACD version which is better.
I also bought the SQ version of Wish You Were Here and would love to have it on SACD as the Quadraphonic mix sounds amazing. It's already been mixed in quadaphonic to the band's approval so why is a new mix neede for 5.1? That could be easily derived from the quad mix.
Another of my favourite quadraphonic LPs is Switched on Bach. Will that ever be released in SACD?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2010, 20:05:56 GMT
i've been gagging for WYWH to be released on SACD for a while .
If u enjoy classic rock in multichannel surround treat yourself to the SACD version of
TUBULAR BELLS by MIKE OLDFIELD.
This is not a 5.1 disc.
It has been taken from the original 4 channel quad masters.
So its just your 2 front and 2 rear speakers and sounds bloody fantastic.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2011, 12:24:34 BST
Bradwardine says:
WYWH SACD comes out in Nov 2011

Posted on 9 Nov 2011, 16:34:43 GMT
Martin P says:
The SACD version has only been released in the USA. I think this is an absolute disgrace and will cost over £70 to get imported from Acoustic Sounds. Pink Floyd are a British Band and EMI are treating us British fans very poorly
Come on Amazon use your buying power to bring this SACD version of Wish You Were Here to our shores at a reasonable cost

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2011, 22:06:10 GMT
Bradwardine says:
SACD now available for pre-order on Amazon UK for £30. (comes out early Jan 2012 here).

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012, 17:28:04 GMT
was originally released for £40 by amazon now we are being totallty RIPPED OFF 'couse they are now selling it for £69.

Posted on 22 Jan 2012, 17:31:39 GMT
like a past post mentioned PINK FLOYD are BRITISHwhy are we being RIPPED OFF.
When are we gonna get WISH YOU WERE HERE.SACD 35 ANNIVERSARY.disc at a much more reasonable price.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012, 17:35:24 GMT
Bradwardine says:
It isn't Amazon who are charging 65 but other sellers through Amazon. I got it for 26 on preorder from Amazon UK.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012, 17:37:05 GMT
Bradwardine says:
It isn't Amazon who are charging 65 but other sellers through Amazon. I got it for 26 on preorder from Amazon UK.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wish You Were Here forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  29 Jan 2009
Latest post:  22 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
Wish You Were Here
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd (Audio CD - 1994)
4.6 out of 5 stars (703)