Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 March 2009
This is a gently amusing and wittily accurate collection of poems set in a primary school. Contained within are poems that are destined to be classics such as 'Please Mrs Butler','Scissors','Supply Teacher','Reading Test' and 'Blame'.
The poems reflect all the varied aspects of the school day such as projects, tests, playtime, friendships, quarrels, dinner time and home time. The poems are popular with all ages in the primary sector and can lead to discussions in Circle Time as well as providing something that appears to be in shorter supply than when this book was first published over a quarter of a century ago - fun!
This book of school based poems has been a favourite for many years and it is wonderful to see that it is both still popular and in print. I recently read it with my children - aged nine and seven - and they both found it funny, thought provoking and relevant. The poems are split into different sections: School Time, Play Time, Dinner Time, School Time Again and Home Time. They deal with every aspect of school, from teasing and struggling with reading, to assembly and through to the fun and games in the playground. I think it would be a great tool for both teaching literacy and circle time, to help promote discussion and also just because they are so enjoyable and full of humour. A real and enduring classic.
on 29 May 2016
I had this book as a kid and still could recite some poems 20 years later. Was so happy to find it again and bought for my poem mad daughter. She LOVES it and so do I. It's full of clever funny poems and is inspiring her to write her own. Definitely recommend.
on 18 April 2012
My Mum is a Primary School Teacher and rates this book so highly suitable for children to read that she wanted me to write a short review. She says it has a range of fun and exciting poems to read which engage the children, she's read it to children aged 6-10 and all have seemed to enjoy the poems which she thinks can relate to them because a lot of the poems are based on school-life. She recommends this book highly! She even bought one for her student teacher to start her with her teaching career!
I first read this book when I was about 7 or 8 and at school, and loved it immediately. My favourite verse was the one that was sung to the tune of 'When A Night Won His Spurs' - one of my favourite school assembly songs. It still makes me giggle now at 23! Lots of fun and a great read for young and old alike.
on 7 June 2001
As a teacher of 6 and 7 year olds I find this book is an essential item. The children really love the poems (and I do, too!)
on 29 June 2014
This was my favourite poetry book at school and I bought this copy because I was studying poetry with my Key Stage 2 class. They enjoyed it as much as I had; particular hits were Please Mrs Butler and Dog in the Playground. Some of the references such as teachers smoking in the staffroom are now nostalgic rather than contemporary, but that just prompted good discussion in the class! I would recommend Googling to find some video clips of Allan Ahlberg discussing these poems, as it made me see some of them in a completely different light. My own 7 year old son enjoyed these poems too and he is not usually a fan of poetry.
on 16 November 2014
I had a great night of nostalgia re-reading these. I remember exactly how my teacher used to read them to us and was really pleased to find that a lot of my favourites were included in the collection. Quick read but lots of fun.
on 30 October 2011
I was made up when I found this book on Amazon. Have a home video of my older brothers reading the poetry from it from years ago. My brother's copy was really scruffy so bought two from Amazon, one for me and one for him as a little present. We were both really happy and brings back loads of memories.
on 4 January 2013
I remember the poems from this book from my primary school days - its well written and witty and excellent for all ages.
We bought this for our daughter this Christmas and she has read and chuckled her way through it!