Customer reviews

on 3 October 2017
great product thank you
on 22 May 2016
We all want the best for ourselves but somehow forget that God wants the best of the best for us.
on 14 May 2012
I absolutely loved this book, charming, witty and profound. Her experiences are common to such a lot of people - just like real life. Re-read it within hours and know I will revisit it again.

In the process of buying extra copies for all my female buddies - married or single - I know they will relate to it!
on 2 July 2016
Arrived a day later than advised which spoilt a present. Great quality, as new.
on 24 September 2012
You don't have to be a Christian to appreciate this heart-warming story and the beautiful illustrations within. Get this book, you won't be disappointed!
on 11 April 2012
I remember reading "Fluffy" a few years ago and thought it was a cute and daffy comic book, so thought I'd check on Simone Lia's latest, "Please God, Find Me a Husband!". Little did I realise that rather than the exclamation being one of generic hopelessness, that she was literally asking God to find her a husband!

The book follows Lia on an autobiographical journey as she undertakes "an adventure with God", going to a nunnery in Wales and then the outback of Australia to visit a hermit, in a quest to find a man and spiritual enlightenment.

I'm not a Catholic, nor religious at all, and if I had to label myself it'd be agnostic rationalist. But I can understand peoples' need for spirituality and just because a book focuses on a specific faith doesn't automatically make it unreadable or laughable. That said, Lia's methods of finding a man extends as far as closing her eyes and praying, and that's about it. There are a number of pages devoted to Lia praying, imagining God (a kind of fun-loving dad) "talking" to her, studying her Bible, listening to nuns tell her about how they feel the power of peoples' prayers lifting them up when they're sick, etc. It just gets a bit much after a while.

This total dependence upon God and imagining herself following God's plans aside, the book is quite fun to read, and while I did find myself rolling my eyes at yet another scene where Lia tells herself that the smallest incident (like a song from her youth playing on a radio) is God talking to her, it was a fairly entertaining story. Lia's drawing style might put people off as it resembles the kind of illustrations you might find in a kid's book, but if you've read "Fluffy" you'll know that it's strangely hypnotic. She also goes in for large landscape pieces which look good on a full page spread.

The ending though did make me question whether she'd totally lost her mind or was planning some extreme end to her man worries. It's very impressionistic and just underlines the strange way people heavily into religion can reason their way through the real world through a kind of denial/faith system.

"Please God, Find Me a Husband!" is an alright comic book, fun to read, but the saturation of Christianity throughout is too off-putting to someone outside of the faith like me to fully like the book.
1010 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 June 2013
Don't be put off by the title: this is a beautifully drawn account of a universal subject: how to discover God's will and learn to trust it. The story could be applied to so many situations in life: a couple longing for children, a youngster trying to get out of a boring job, an older person getting used to widowhood. So even if you aren't interested in the woes of the single lady of a certain age, this is well worth reading if you are trying to understand where God is leading you.

The author is to be congratulated for using her wonderful gifts so bravely. She has tackled a very personal subject in an accessible and touching way and has not hidden the truth for fear of offending or alienating her readers and fans. More please!
on 9 September 2015
Wow!Fantastic read! Read this book with an hour...what an hour. I am married with 3 children and yet, as I laughed out loud in solidarity with Simone's struggles, God whispered into my heart with each page. The best part is that I'm reminded that God isn't some imposing far ruling King, but a loving and caring Father on whose palms my name is engraved. Definitely recommend reading; Catholic or not.
on 20 May 2012
This is a gem of a book. I picked it up in my local comic book shop and read it non-stop from the moment I walked out of the door. I passed it in a rather jokey/embarrassed way to a single friend and she has passed it on to someone else. Her review of the book? 'She KNOWS.'

This is a straight graphic autobiography about Lia's struggle with singleness. I was going to add 'with added bits of magical realism,' but that does violence to the text: Lia really believes this stuff. When Lia and Jesus visit her isolated childhood self and play Operation (my favourite scene), I suspect this is not purely concoted, but represents her deep and sincere faith in Roman Catholicism.

Lia's belief is completely taken as read; there are no explanations, apologies or digressions. In many ways this is impressive, but her whimsical and (faux?) naive style can make her faith seem rather too simplistic, like a deliberate regression into childlike dependence.

So... I loved the book, but I'm happy that it now has a life of it's own and I'm not particularly desperate to get it back...
on 7 May 2012
Perhaps not much is to be expected by a title with so desperate a request. Yet the request, "Please God, find me a husband" is not so unfamiliar to my ears as I have heard it on the lips of my 30-something female friends without a beau to call their own. I was very edified to read and see the protagonist grappling with these inner yearnings, delving deeper into self-knowledge, acknowledging her desire for relationship and communion. The book features real Catholic prayer and discernment, and a very original presentation of what this looks like in real life (including seeing God in the lyrics of an INXS song). I was a little concerned that the book would ultimately lead to a sappy, shmaltzy ending, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It shows real depth on the side of the author. A very nice read.