- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 1087 KB
- Print Length: 221 pages
- Publisher: HQ Digital (15 Feb. 2017)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B01N7ZUOI6
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 10 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #4,230 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|This price was set by the publisher.|
Playing by the Rules Kindle Edition
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Well written, with brilliant humour and sensitivity.
When her Nana Clementine passes away, all four girls are set to gain an inheritance of £250,000 each. Sisters Indigo, Amber and Ebony are all able to have their money immediately. Magenta on the other hand has to work for her money; literally!
Her Nana added a proviso to the inheritance. She could only have it once she had worked for one full year, for the same employer, or when she turns 45, which ever came first. For Magenta this is the worse thing ever. But she needs the money, so that means she must find a job.
Having recently taken over from his father in the company business, Anthony Shearman needs a PA – Step forward Magenta. But can she last 365 continuous days in employment, when the company secretary hates her, her boss doesn’t have a clue what he is doing, and the business is losing money?
I’ve read a few of Ms. Temples books, and have enjoyed each of them, so I was happy to take on another of her books. I would say ‘Playing by the Rules’ is her best work to date.
Magenta starts off as this spoilt brat. She acts like a child, and throws hissy-fits if she doesn’t get her own way. Her sisters are successful business women, with two of them running the families lingerie company, and the other a buyer for Harrods. But although she started out as a pain-in-the-rear woman, she is still very likeable.
Anthony Shearman is the sex appeal in the book, but he starts off as a clueless guy, who quite honestly came over a bit thick, and looked like he might end up running his company into the ground with his lack of knowledge.
As the story progresses, you see these two change. How Magenta never though she would be any good, and never wanted to work baffled me. She was a natural as a PA, and a businesswoman. She was shrewd, competent and excelled at everything she did.
There were a lot of characters in the book, who all brought their own individuality and importance. I particularly liked Magenta’s best friend, Serbian supermodel, Anya. The only thing that I didn’t like about how Ms. Temple had portrayed her was the way she wrote her speech with ‘Vye not’ instead of ‘why not’, or ‘Vell’ instead of ‘well’. We were told that she was from Serbia, so changing her speech wasn’t necessary.
If you enjoy chick-lit books, but want something a little more gritty and edgy, then this is the book for you. It has a great plot, fabulous characters, and is superbly written. It will have you laughing at the many hilarious moments, but most of all, it will have you enjoying every minute of it from the first word to the last.
Reviewed on Whispering Stories Book Blog
*I received a free copy of this book, which I voluntarily reviewed
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
I've loved to see our heroine growth as a person and as a worker.Read more
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Humour
- Books > Humour > Fiction
- Books > Romance > Contemporary
- Books > Romance > Romantic Comedy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humour
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Women's Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Humour & Satire > Literary Humour
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Contemporary Women
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Humor
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Contemporary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Romantic Comedy