- Also check our best rated Photography Book reviews
Playboy: The Complete Centerfolds: Small Edition (Playboy) Hardcover – 1 Sep 2008
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Hugh M. Hefner is editor-in-chief of Playboy magazine.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The photographs show the evolution of the Playboy style, and is a master class in glamour photography. With the classic pin up girls (Marilyn, Bettie Page, Jayne Mansfield) it is a lovely book, and must have the record for the largest number of lovely girls in one volume!
The following are a few random thoughts on this amazing book.
* The total weight of this (reassuringly?) expensive package is thirty pounds, the combination lock case weighs five pounds. You can check out the dimensions in the Product Details section.
* Production values are suitably sumptuous with photos printed in 200dpi screen on good paper and an obviously robust black binding holds it all together. The carrying case acts in lieu of a book jacket I guess.
* The centerfolds in the book are the same size as those in the perfect bound magazine. For many years Playboy was stapled and the centerfolds were a bit deeper by about three-quarters of an inch.
* There seems to be some confusion about how many Playmates and centerfolds are included in the unnumbered pages, 640 are in the index, from Rhonda Adams (June 1995) to Pamela Zinser (March 1974) but Janet Pilgrim made it three times. Marilyn Waltz and Marguerite Empey both appeared twice. Some centers featured two Playmates: the Collinson twins (October 1970) Carol and Darlene Beraola (January 2000) Deisy and Sarah Teles (December 2003) and the Dahm's (Erica, Nicole and Jacclyn) all appeared in December 1998. Playboy started in December 1953 (but no issue for March 1955) and the last photo in the book is December 2006. You can relax though because I've counted the pages (it took some time) and there are 638 centerfolds. October 1958 included two centers (Mara Corday and Pat Sheehan) as did January 1974 but here it was the front and back of the delightful Nancy Cameron.
* Five lucky photographers seem to have spent their lives telling Playmates to "Look straight at the camera, imagine it's your lover!", Mario Casilli, Richard Fegley, Arny Freytag, Pompeo Posar and Stephen Wayda have, between them, taken over 350 centers. The index lists sixty-nine photographers.
* Sure it's an indulgence but if you have to justify the purchase to anyone just say as well as being a huge coffee table book it IS a coffee table. Put a pile of your back issues at either end and voila!
* One problem remains though just where am I going to keep such a huge book?
Destined in my opinion to be a Modern Classic. A very reasonable price for such a wondrous collection.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews