on 25 October 2010
Anyone expecting an esoteric, jargon filled, long winded epic on Neuro-linguistic Programming, quantum psychology, self-hypnosis and Zen will probably be bitterly disappointed by Dr Simpson's `Play Magic Golf'. Conversely any golfer wishing to discover an almost guaranteed way of improving their game or any sports psychologist looking for a beautifully simple synthesis of `flow' and quantum psychology ready packaged in a user-friendly format for their clients may find this to be indispensable.

In a field that is beset by often impenetrable psycho-babble Dr Simpson's gently humorous and plain speaking style is a breath of fresh air. I found the book quite addictive and read it in just one sitting. Like the best guilty pleasures I was left exquisitely dissatisfied and yearning for more. I am hoping a follow up will soon by on its way. Rumour is I may be not be disappointed.

Considering the quality of the content, the reputation of the author and the low price point I would expect this book to be sold in quite some volume. So don't be surprised if your golfing peers soon `mysteriously' start to improve their game in leaps and bounds. It might be an idea to level the playing field, no?
on 11 November 2010
A short and enjoyable read full of psychological interest and insight for the golfer who'd like to get his mind into a place where better golf might just result. I found the sections on using the creative right brain, self-hypnosis and Zen particularly useful. (Also see ZEN GOLF by Joseph Parent for a fuller treatment.)

This book is not a replacement for proper physical practice and training. There's little point in pondering the complexities of quantum physics if you can't make decent contact with the ball, but for those of us who have been playing for a while and struggling with self-destructive thoughts and doubt this book is very worthwhile. Changing bad habits is extremely difficult but not impossible if you can get your head around new concepts.

If you like reading Bob Rotella, Timothy Gallwey or Steven Pressfield you'll like this. Some of it is pretty out there it's true, but if you want to play magic golf you have to believe in the possibilities of magic. As in golf, so in life.

The author is very accessible via the contact e-mail given at the end of the book, and likes to hear from his readers. There's also a monthly newsletter full of great tips and advice.

Give it a go. Even if it doesn't reduce your handicap you'll have lots to think about while searching for your ball.
on 5 October 2010
i have played golf for about 17 years and have spent a lot of time on the driving range trying fof the perfect swing, i would not say that this time has been wasted but you only gain so much by doing this. after a while you find that it is your mental state that can change your score. i have found that dr steve simpson,s idea.s are one of the best on the market and also one of the cheapest.
on 25 November 2010
Although a bit on the thin side this book is full of useful tips and techniques. It is applicable to any 'mind' sports not just golf.
on 6 January 2012
I have just finished reading your book and I am a believer in Zen, meditation and visualization. I found your book to be very inspiring and informative in all areas. I am a lover of the golf game and truly want to improve my score. My present handicap is 22 and of course this varies during the year. I will relax more and enjoy the game more by not thinking so hard and hopefully I'll have more fun with friends and game. Thank you for sharing your experiences and encouragement with anyone who will take the time to read or listen. Evelyn Lansden
on 18 February 2013
Excellent book that has helped me become a happier golfer. I am hoping that, come the spring, it will also shave some shots off my handicap. The second half contains all the practical, useful stuff, so stay with it!
on 16 December 2012
I loved reading this book....it's helped my golf no end....I've come down from a 28 handicap to 16 in 12 months all through adopting the advice from this book.....can thoroughly recommend it!
on 4 December 2010
A good book with some interesting ideas, which need to be digested and worked with. Don't just read it and put it away.I see it as work in progress, shame the snow has stopped us playing golf.
on 2 January 2013
Read and all so play the CD regularly. Soothing, level headed advise, these series of books has charged my temperament on course , personal and business life.
on 19 September 2015
I found this a complete waste of time. I read it as soon as I received it as I was struggling with the mental side of the game. I was expecting some amazing revelation as I expectantly turned each page but all there was were suggestions to try various other techniques such as Zen. I think a lot of the book went over my head as all I seem to have gained is ' stay in the moment' or ' play in the zone' . As a result I am still having problems, even though I have looked at a lot of 'Zen' such as their secret breathing technique, all to no avail.