on 19 July 2016
In my opinion , this book is a lot funnier than a lot of Sci-Fi books I have read in the past, This first book in the series is full of plenty funny surprises it starts off with our hero from the prequel, although now he is awaiting execution because of a clerical error, the top brass do not want to admit to said clerical error, so they plan on executing him instead. As luck would have it if he takes on a mission no one else wants he can get a reprieve but first of all he has to get a name change and his face altered.

I do not wish to ruin the story for others, so please invest in this book, if you enjoy a laugh and are not too PC then you should enjoy this book.

I was lucky enough to get this from the Author in exchange for a review, however I will be buying it for my Kindle as I have enjoyed it so much and at the moment can only view it on my computer and enjoy reading my books when outside, or before I go to sleep at night.
on 28 April 2015
Got this book free from John's website and absolutely loved it, so much so that I immediately purchased the remaining titles in the series. It is very reminiscent of Bill the Galactic Hero series by Harry Harrision, books I adored as a teenager. It is very well written with a fast pace and laugh out funny in places
on 16 June 2014
This book lay down a good base to start exploring, the characters where do they go from here. To start you had a choice to live or die due to a computer error. Then to get a old ship and go on a mission of no return. It's back to the choice if live or die and we choose life.
Well done
on 21 March 2016
A hilarious introduction to antics of the slightly less than heroic members of Platoon F. I even love the name of the Platoon - not the best of the best, such as Platoon A+ might be or even Platoon ‘B’ the next best team, but ‘F’ Its full of the sort of humour you get in Southpark or (maybe because its set in space), Futurama. Great writing, great characters and once you’re in, you’re hooked in to the whole series. Its not a read for children in the same way SouthPark isn’t suitable for young children either, but I think the rudeness is just so essential to the funny. Some parts will have you sniggering, others tittering and some brilliant bits are laugh out loud. Give it a go!
on 14 May 2014
Enjoyed the book. Short read, but lot's of fun and more than a few laughs thrown in. Recommended purchase indeed!
on 4 June 2014
Good story with action and interest leading to a great lead on for a follow on story. Hope its soon
on 28 July 2015
The first of Johns books that I have read so far, and, as an ex-military man - I felt an odd affinity with Lt Murphy, sorry, Commodore Harr... It's ggod to see that the administration of the SSMC is no better than the clerical errors that I suffered. I look forward to reading more in the future. Light, easy and amusing read.
on 3 June 2014
Juvenile drivel, couldn't believe what I was reading. Nothing wrong with the writing itself & the storyline was acceptable, if completely
unoriginal, but the style was flat & boring & pitched almost at the level of "Spot is a dog, see spot run, spot runs very fast....".
unable to get through more than 1/3 of it. Sorry
on 22 June 2014
It's an interesting concept but lacks enough substance for me to be interested in another book, if the plot was better fleshed out i would happily read this anytime.
on 13 September 2014
Nothing very new here. its a pretty good read to pass the time but i dont feel the need to follow the series passionately.