on 6 December 2016
This is about as unobtrusive, lightweight and effective a capo as can be found anywhere - I came to this having for some time previously coveted the marvellously tactile but almost twice as expensive G7th Performance capo. A pro guitarist drew my attention to the NS Capo pro and I quickly came around to it's minimalist efficiency. I still like picking up and fiddling about with other people's G7th's but this D'addario/Planet Waves capo is perfect for the job and half the weight.

Be aware that there's a cheaper 'lite' version of this capo. The design is pretty much exactly the same except that it's made from ABS plastic instead of aviation grade aluminium. Although the plastic 'lite' version is not recommended for 12 string guitars, I believe it's as effective but at a pocket money price point. Otherwise, if you're not especially budget constrained I'd recommend the pro version. It's pleasingly good and you won't regret it!
One person found this helpful
on 9 May 2017
This item was delivered really quickly and looked so tiny when I removed it from the packing. It is really neat looking and I have tried it on various sizes of ukuleles and it works extremely well. I haven't found that it "feels in the way" of some chords as I have done with other capos. All in all, I would highly recommend this Planet Waves PW-CP-12 NS Ukulele Capo as an excellent buy and I am thinking of buying another soon as a spare.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 April 2012
Flamenco guitar players rely heavily on the use of a capo. I have tried a variety of capos (G7th, Kyser, Jim Dunlop, Shubb) and none of them were that good: they didn't clamp evenly, hard enough or were too prone to wear. Probably the most annoying of the weaknesses was the poor or uneven clamping pressure which meant that if a finger pushed a string slightly out of alignment, it stayed there and created a large gap between strings.

The Planet Waves version is very different. It is very light giving almost no weight on the neck. (Low weight on the neck is vital in order to maintain the classic flamenco position of balancing the guitar under the weight of the right arm). Because this capo has a micro dial, you can turn up the clamping pressure to suit. It is designed to sit precisely over the neck with no chance of missing a string. It has a low fingerboard profile so you don't get caught on it. I have been using it for about a month of playing string intensive flamenco techniques (triplet strums, rasgueos, pulgar and alzapuas) and it has held all strings solidly in place allowing good tone and reduced buzz. It is value for money and I highly recommend it.
13 people found this helpful
on 5 January 2016
I purchased the NS Capo Lite at the beginning of 2012 - it's now January 2016 and the capo is still working perfectly.
I have several guitars and a couple of ukuleles and this capo fits them all - from the skinny neck of my soprano uke to the fat wide neck of my full size classical guitar.
I much prefer the tightening method of the NS Lite compared to sprung capos some of which have such strong springs they damage fretboard by pressing the larger wound strings into the wood. The screw tensioner of this capo allows you to set just enough force to make the strings ring true without clamping down on them like a rottweiler.
It's also easy to move the capo from one fret to another using one hand - simply loosen the screw a little, reposition and tighten. Highly recommended.
on 7 October 2016
I have one of the earlier models in black made by Planet Waves which was absolutely brilliant. This silver one feels like a poor imitation made by D'Addario. Today, whilst using the D'Addario made capo, I tried to release it from the 4th fret where I had clamped it and the capo was stuck in position. What had happened was, when I turned the knurled wheel, instead of the thread turning, the knurled wheel came off the thread leaving the capo clamped tight. The only way to get it off is to use a pair of pliers to release the thread. This is going straight in the bin.
review imagereview imagereview image
2 people found this helpful
on 5 November 2015
This is the best capo I have ever bought, and like many of you, I have bought loads. Like me you probably have some of those really expensive ones that failed to live up to the blurb about them, otherwise you wouldn't be looking for a new one. I have been playing the guitar for over 40 years and have gone through dozens of capos, most of which fail after a while. Because I play a 12 string, I find it difficult to find a decent and durable capo that works. This Planet Waves Capo does work without a hitch. It keeps the strings tight on the fretboard without distorting the sound. I would definety buy one of these again, but I don't think I will be doing so any time soon ;)
on 3 February 2018
I like the minimalist shape of this capo and it worked for a while. However, after just over a year the capo locked on my guitar and would not undo. I had to remove it forcibly. It is permanently locked and will not undo.
As there is clearly a design flaw, I emailed D’Addario customer service and got an acknowledgement saying I would get a response within 48 hours. That was 10 days ago and I’ve heard nothing. A not fit for purpose product and poor customer service. Despite liking the size of this capo I would avoid if you need reliability.
on 4 May 2017
Very tiny capo, I find it works better on my mandolin than my banjo. Very nicely made, but easy to lose as it's so small. If you already have a guitar capo, it might be an idea just to use it rather than this for a banjo. I'm not saying this is a waste of money by any means, but I do tend to use my Planet Waves NS guitar capo on the banjo, as I find it easier to fine tune and get the proper pressure.
on 26 March 2018
Really great capo. It's not unlike the g7 but is a great capo and brings out the treble more than any capo I have had.So I'm really pleased with this capo and will be purchasing it again.It compliments the D'Addario strings EJ16 which I have used with my Yamaha acoustic guitar since I got it years ago.
on 2 September 2014
I was looking for a sturdy and easy to use capo. And in my case keeping the pressure equal on all the strings had always been a trouble for me with my old capos. I always liked planet waves products, they are sturdy and made of cool materials. So I gave this one a shot;

I really liked this one. String tension adjustment is brilliant and although first I thought it looked kinda ugly, in the end I really like it on my guitars. And it's made of really nice materials. I tried it both on my acoustic (Takamine G Series -with a thick neck) and electric (Cort X-6) and it worked fine. I haven't tried it on my classical though, but it should be fine too I guess.

Recommended.