Place-names, Language and the Anglo-Saxon Landscape (Pubns Manchester Centre for Anglo-Saxon Studies) Hardcover – 17 Mar 2011
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
This volume's strength is in solid empirical research into how early medieval landscape was settled, organised and exploited. MEDIEVAL ARCHAEOLOGY As befits the fruit of an interdisciplinary conference with a wide remit, the essays cover a wide range of themes, with several displaying considerable historical and philological subtlety. LANDSCAPE HISTORY Contains some excellent material that many will find very rewarding, and it will surely encourage further use of onomastic and documentary sources in the exploration of landscape history. THE MEDIEVAL REVIEW There is much of interest, ranging from detailed surveys of estate boundaries to wider contributions considering Scandinavian settlement. BRITISH ARCHAEOLOGY
About the Author
Nicholas J. Higham is Professor of Early Medieval and Landscape History at the University of Manchester; Martin Ryan lectures in Medieval History at the University of Manchester.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Black Death
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > History > Reference > Geographical History
- Books > History > World History > 501-1500
- Books > Languages > By Language > Ancient Languages > Old English
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Historical & Comparative Linguistics