Customer reviews

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:£5.49

on 12 July 2014
I hate to admit it, but I may have watched this film more times than any other film in the history of the world. Partly because I've made all my friends and family watch it with me, and partly because it's just so brilliant.

I had no idea what the film was about but decided to download it because I'd heard a lot of hype about it, and for once, the hype was well and truly lived up to.

Anna Kendrick (who Twilight fans will recognise) is finally in the spotlight, and she absolutely should be. She's clearly a super-talented actress and singer and I love the fact that she's just your average girl - not some barbie doll lookalike who hangs out with average looking friends whilst trying to bag the school hunk (although I have to say, her love interest, played by Skylar Astin, is not exactly hard on the eyes).

Anna plays Becca, an alt-girl (although I'm not one to put people in categories) who is being forced to attend University by her father who works there as a lecturer, when all she wants to do is head to LA and start paying her dies at a record label so she can eventually become a music producer. After a month of being miserable, not attending lectures and doing nothing but mixing music on her computer, her dad strikes up a deal with her that, if she joins one group on campus and tries really hard to experience college and then decides, after really giving it a go, that she doesn't want to be there, he will help her move to LA.

Reluctantly, Becca agrees and takes up the opportunity to audition for one of the collegiate a cappella groups, the Barden Bellas. Becca's journey follows her from her audition, right up until the national championships, at which they're competing against another Barden University group, the TrebleMakers, an all boy a cappella group, including Jesse, the guy who's crazy about her.

Admittedly, although Becca and Jesse's characters are funny, the most hilarious characters are the other members of the a cappella groups, most notably the character of 'Fat Amy', played by the uber-talented Rebel Wilson.

I always laugh at this film from start to finish, and it doesn't hurt that the music is fantastic, as are the a cappella groups you get to see.

The film is original, unusual, and not even close to what you would expect from what is essentially a teen musical. It's got grit, comedy, and it's not scared to push the boundaries. I challenge anyone not to enjoy this film.
on 2 September 2015
Working in a primary school I have heard thousands of renditions of the cup song, so on a rainy summers afternoon after channel hopping failed to satisfy me I decided to watch this movie. I'm surprised myself and my teenage daughter really enjoyed watching it. A feel good movie that you can't help but sing along to. Yes it's predictable but that's expected it this sort of film. We now have the soundtrack too!
on 25 June 2017
The humour in this film can be not to everyone's taste, there's bits that make me cringe. That said though, I come away every time having really enjoyed the film and the music in it. Great film.
on 13 March 2017
What an easy, entertaining, uplifting watch. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The music throughout the film is brilliant and makes you want to sing and dance around the house. This is definitely a new favourite. A guilty pleasure really as it's not oscar winning material but superb all the same. We all need a bit of easy watching now and again.
on 3 August 2017
Love this film. My granddaughter and myself have watched it time and time again and love just as much as the first time.
on 21 April 2017
Wonderful movie. Love the music. My girls love it, too, so good film to watch together.
on 27 July 2017
Quite amusing, but calling it 'laugh out loud funny' is an exaggeration.
on 4 May 2017
Funny dance and singing film. Teen chick flick
on 26 June 2017
Fun movie. Get a bag of twiglets and enjoy.
on 21 March 2017
Didn't like the style of humour. It's definitely over-rated.