on 6 August 2017
Our son just turned 3 and is due to start nursery soon. The nursery required that he be fully potty trained and we were getting desperate for him to use the potty. The "wait until they say they are ready" approach was not working for us as for the last year he has been disinterested and didn't mind a full nappy. We purchased this book as well as the Thomas the Tank Engine but this one is his favourite. Every time he sat on the potty we would read it to him (but ONLY if he sat on the potty). He took great delight in pressing the "cheer" button at the required times and it kept him on the potty. He was trained in two days and is now ready for nursery!
on 23 January 2017
Great book to introduce potty training. My boy has enjoyed me reading this to him. I like the way there are choices on some pages to talk about with the child, for example on one page it asks what pants do you think Pirate Pete likes the best and which one's are your favourite? And it also asks simple questions for the parent to talk to the child about for example, what is a potty for? each time the child is to select the image they feel is 'right' involving the child and encouraging potty training. The book is not just another 'simple' potty training book as it talks about subjects such as wiping bottoms, flushing away contents of the potty, washing hands and accidents practising pulling up and down underwear which is great for kids to learn and will support the potty training process.
We have the hardback edition and its lovely and sturdy for small children to sit and look at themselves, its also bigger than I thought it would be which is a bonus! The images in the book are bright, bold and engaging for a child. There is one big button on the book which has a fun 'cheer' sound which is not too loud and only lasts seconds when pressed. The button is not irritating at first when an adult reads with the child but if the child is looking at it alone and the button is pressed repeatedly (like it is in our house) it gets very annoying (but most noisy toys do become annoying). Overall its great and we love this book.
on 9 April 2010
I bought this book for my son in the hope that it would inspire him to want to use his potty. He is almost 3. Other books of this nature have frustrated me as they've often involved the child wearing the potty on their head, or they have somehow given bad/unhelpful ideas that do not help the parent at such a tricky and frustrating time. This book however, is great fun, has a really great message at the core and has definitely ignited my son's interest in the potty. The book also covers things like accidents in a really great way, as they are inevitable, and really encourages the child to not have a fear of the potty. I'd highly recommend this book.
22 Comments| 225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 April 2015
The middle pages of this book are in Spanish!! By the time is realised (as I bought it but didn't start reading it to him for a couple of months as was waiting till nearer potty training time) I couldn't be bothered to go through the process of sending it back, but definitely a bit strange!!

Apart from that it is a good book and has definitely helped with potty training.
review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 June 2016
Bought this for our son who is just over 2 1/2. He has shown no interest in using a potty nor has he shown us any signs that he is ready....so I had cautiously high hopes that this book may inspire him to use the potty!

Wow....that pretty much sums up this book! After reading it to him on demand about 2 or 3 times a day for a couple of days he decided to use the potty! I therefore cannot cannot recommend this book enough!

It's well written and talks about all aspects of potty training from who wears nappies, choosing a potty, accidents and hygiene. The illustrations are bright and colourful.

Admittedly the "cheering" sound button wears a bit thin after the umpteenth time of hearing it for the umpteenth time but I'm prepared to put up with it after the success story that this book has played a significant part in.

Our thanks go to the author and illustrators for their 'magical' words and pictures.

"A-R-R-H it be a fine book indeed for young potty training shipmates"

I hope you've found this review to be helpful and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask in the comments box below.
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 January 2014
My little girl loves pirates. We were given this book but couldn't use it to help potty train because it is specifically aimed at boys. The one aimed at girls is princess oriented and -shock horror- my girl isn't into them.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 January 2018
Excellent resource to help the little men of the house start using the potty. Potty train is one of the most difficult times for parents and any help is welcome in trying to convince the little ones to leave the nappies behind. With this book, they see the evolution of the boy in the story and it motivates them to do the same (get a potty, get used to sit in it, use pants instead of nappies, "it is ok to have accidents sometimes", etc). Also, using the button when our little men make progress is a great reward for them. There are many similar books like this out there but in my case, we had this one and I can say it helped, so I would recommend it to parents of toddler boys.

It was delivered quickly as expected.
on 8 August 2017
Good pictures and story to accompany potty training. My 2 yo loves it and says what Pete should do. Nice for him to sit on potty reading this.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 May 2013
This book is brilliant. Well illustrated and my son got the point immediately. He also liked the hooray soundeffects.I had been working on toilet training for a week and my son had gotten the hang of wee's but couldnt understand that he needed to poo in the loo as well. We had multiple accidents so I got this book after reading the reviews .It arrived on a saturday morning and we read it immediately. It worked like magic..he immediately sat on the loo and did his job. And he made me read it to him again whilst he was on the loo.I thought it was just a one time thing cos I couldnt believe it would work so fast. But he did it every single time since that day. the best thing is he loves his potty and he loves his book. He's kinda relaxed round the whole concept and started thinking of it as fun and games.I've waited a couple of months before writing this just to make sure it had long term effects.And it has. He graduated to looking at the pictures then and now he doesnt really need the book but the results of the book have lasted. he hasnt had an accident since.
on 9 June 2014
Spot on!..my son really liked this book & I believe it covered things very well. Starts off by pete thinking to himself he wants to be a bit more grown up than his baby bro who wears nappies then after going shopping for a potty pants etc starts with small steps first with pete practicing pulling pants up & down then sitting on the potty & waiting for a wee! I liked very much how it shows pete have an accident & his mummy & daddy tell him not to worry & they know hes trying really hard so really takes the pressure off little ones..obviously encourages perseverance aswell & was nice the way that after a while pete found doing a wee on the potty easier but found doing a poo much harder..made me laugh as I still find this but not on a potty of course Lol..so yeah easy to relate to!..also shows basic potty rules..when finished wipe from front to back, empty contents down toilet (with help), & then wash hands..not too long for child to get bored covered everything & pete accomplishes his goal!